When do you add a starfish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaltyMix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SaltyMix

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2025
Messages
78
Reaction score
49
Location
Utah
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so in love with the idea of getting a brittle starfish. I love their chaotic arms and how they look like neurons looking for connection as they crawl around.

However, how do you introduce one into the tank? How long after the cycle or when do you bring it into the tank with the other occupants?

I did another post about the fish I was hoping to bring in, but I think I've really just narrowed my desire to 1-2 damsels and a Flame Hawkfish, and maybe a mandarin or a goby? We'll see how I feel about it. I want that Flame Hawkfish. I think they're so interesting.
 
Flame Hawks are super cool. If your tank is not mature enough to keep a Brittle Star fed on the tank waste, you can target feed it by dropping meaty pieces of food right near it. :)
 
Flame Hawks are super cool. If your tank is not mature enough to keep a Brittle Star fed on the tank waste, you can target feed it by dropping meaty pieces of food right near it. :)
Yes, I thought as much. When do you typically know if there's enough tank waste for a starfish?
 
How long has the tank been set up... and are you in fact feeding any fish in there yet, or you're not that far along yet?
 
How long has the tank been set up... and are you in fact feeding any fish in there yet, or you're not that far along yet?
Not that far along. Just kind of trying to plan. I'm about halfway through the first cycle.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new