When do you determine when you can add more livestock?

momonosuke

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2026
Messages
40
Reaction score
29
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

How do you decide when it’s the right time, in a newer tank, to add more livestock?

I have a tank about 2 months old going through its ugly stage, it processes its current bioload Ammonia in good time, and everything seems to be going good.

Should I wait until I reach another week or so with stable parameters before I add?
 
Hi Everyone,

How do you decide when it’s the right time, in a newer tank, to add more livestock?

I have a tank about 2 months old going through its ugly stage, it processes its current bioload Ammonia in good time, and everything seems to be going good.

Should I wait until I reach another week or so with stable parameters before I add?
what fish are you thinking of adding first?
 
Hi Everyone,

How do you decide when it’s the right time, in a newer tank, to add more livestock?

I have a tank about 2 months old going through its ugly stage, it processes its current bioload Ammonia in good time, and everything seems to be going good.

Should I wait until I reach another week or so with stable parameters before I add?
what fish are you thinking of adding first?
I currently have a banggai and a pair of clowns, along with a handful of snails and a fire red shrimp. I’m looking to add a goby.
I’m not in too much of a rush, but wanted to see if there was a general rule to follow i guess
 
I currently have a banggai and a pair of clowns, along with a handful of snails and a fire red shrimp. I’m looking to add a goby.
I’m not in too much of a rush, but wanted to see if there was a general rule to follow i guess
depending on the goby it should be fine to add but its worth keeping in mind that the tank is still fairly young and can still swing largely for a number of reasons
 
In general you start slow and can add more as time goes on. When your system is new, the bacteria need to proliferate to handle the new input of nitrogen. So you'll typically start with 1 or 2 small fish and let the bacteria grow to handle their waste. Once the tank has a larger bioload and the bacteria to handle it, adding another fish isn't as much of an increase in demand as it is in the early stages.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new