When do you intervene?

Acro Junky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2014
Messages
1,378
Reaction score
2,561
Location
california
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Question, for those Acropora pros out there.

Here are two examples of acros that I have that just enjoy “puddling” as I call it. They aren’t shooting any vertical mass only growing at the base.

Now I know it takes time for them to base out before they shoot vertical growth, but I was just curious what the pros do.

When do you intervene and would you on these two examples?


POTO Cofefe

IMG_1218.jpeg



Unknown Acro was a cheap tester that does nothing, ID would be nice too

IMG_1224.jpeg
 
I'm far from a pro but once I glue one to rock unless it's struggling and I think it's flow or lighting I leave it be. I don't mind them basing out because eventually they start vertical growth also. That said I don't frag so I'm have no reason to try and rush growth.
 
Those “puddles” are like u spitting a loogie!
Just sit on ur hands and wait, they seem fine to me and not at all stunted.
 
Those 2 look fine, but may not be in the optimal space in your tank.

I've had corals that look like that encrust and shoot off an entire large colony off the encrustation while the original frag still is slow growing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new