When is Kalk used up?

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Kalk stirrer and the directions say to change out the kalk every 2 weeks.What happens after the 2 weeks does the kalk stop working?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is sufficient calcium hydroxide solids left, it can work fine, but some of what is there in the bottle is insoluble calcium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide, and those things accumulate over time (and calcium carbonate can be made in the reactor by CO2 entering from the air or with the water).

You cna monitor the conductivity of the effluent as the best way to monitor it (saturation is about 10.3 mS/cm at 25 deg C), but pH can be a cruder method and an alk test can work if the effluent is completely clear (no suspended solids).

OP
OP
gfox

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is sufficient calcium hydroxide solids left, it can work fine, but some of what is there in the bottle is insoluble calcium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide, and those things accumulate over time (and calcium carbonate can be made in the reactor by CO2 entering from the air or with the water).

You cna monitor the conductivity of the effluent as the best way to monitor it (saturation is about 10.3 mS/cm at 25 deg C), but pH can be a cruder method and an alk test can work if the effluent is completely clear (no suspended solids).
I use the Kalk Stirrer also for my ATO.So when the Kalk is new what would the ALK read and what would it read after 2 weeks.Thanks for the info.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Kalk Stirrer also for my ATO.So when the Kalk is new what would the ALK read and what would it read after 2 weeks.Thanks for the info.

I cannot tell you weeks because that depends on many factors, like how fast you are using it up. I do not know if your reactor saturates the limewater even when first filled since that is determined by how it stirs (and many folks mistakenly think it is saturated).

That said, saturated limewater at 25 degrees C has an alkalinity of about 40.8 meq/L or 114 dKH and 808 ppm of calcium.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back