When to Add CUC and what to add?

rporter996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reefing and have a couple question on my first tank. I just got a pair of clowns 2 weeks ago now and I'm starting to see some diatoms appear on the rock and sand bed. I have a 20g IM nuvo tank and I'm wondering when and what I should add for a CUC. I know your not supposed add a lot of livestock all at once and gradually increase the bioload. I'm wondering if adding like 10 snails and a cleaner shrimp at the same time would be okay? Also should I quarantine these(don't have a quarantine setup yet.) or is just a temp and drip acclimation okay?Also what do you guys think I should add I definitely want a cleaner shrimp in my tank i know that much but what for snails? I plan on having some LPS corals in the future when the tank has matured more.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told i could add hermit crabs before I had added any fish.
As @Willhersh34 mentioned, and this goes for all CUC, before the fish are in making a mess, there may not be an awful lot for scavengers to eat.
I added snails about a week after fish and then hermits another couple after that. I made sure that the crabs appetites were supplemented with some Hikari Crab Cuisine every other day until I was confident that they were finding enough elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Wyatt57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Willhersh34 mentioned, and this goes for all CUC, before the fish are in making a mess, there may not be an awful lot for scavengers to eat.
I added snails about a week after fish and then hermits another couple after that. I made sure that the crabs appetites were supplemented with some Hikari Crab Cuisine every other day until I was confident that they were finding enough elsewhere.
I was blind feed to cycle tank so they had food.

Upvote 0

Wyatt57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can but the question becomes what and/or how much they have to eat. It is not very likely you’ll have hair algae or much waste for them to clean up. The timing is a delicate balance and from my experience if you don’t have enough waste or algae for the crabs to eat they’re going to die off.

Adding them first isn’t going to hurt but I personally have waited until I have a fish or two in the tank to ensure the hermits have enough to keep them fed and occupied.
I was blind feeding and adding shrimp bits here and there. They seem to have done fine.

Upvote 0

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years and years ago we would start with 1 hermit crab abd let the tank cycle for 6 weeks. Did not have the algae problems many do today but we did not have the intense lighting either. A hermit will survice and get things going. I would also add pods when you get something for thenm to feed on or circulate some culerpa or whatever your choice is with low flow. There are mant ways. that would be one slow but sure way.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back