When To Add Skimmer

Flyangler33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Working on my first tank, i've just got my first inhabitants into my IM Fusion Pro 50 gallon AIO. Everything seems to be going ok so far. I have the IM NuvoSkim on deck, but with the tank being so new was curious if I should hold off on installing the skimmer? If so when is the best time to add a skimmer?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Working on my first tank, i've just got my first inhabitants into my IM Fusion Pro 50 gallon AIO. Everything seems to be going ok so far. I have the IM NuvoSkim on deck, but with the tank being so new was curious if I should hold off on installing the skimmer? If so when is the best time to add a skimmer?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Install it but have it skim very dry. Meaning pulling little to nothing into the cup. Or, just have it drain right back into the sump. This way you break it in and get the gas exchange provided.

OP
OP
F

Flyangler33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Install it but have it skim very dry. Meaning pulling little to nothing into the cup. Or, just have it drain right back into the sump. This way you break it in and get the gas exchange provided.
Awesome thank you! Thanks for all the help so far Jekyl, you've commented on quite a few of my posts, its much appreciated!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't start to try and really remove anything until nitrate gets over 10. From that point until coraline takes over mind your nutrients. The algae uglies coming up can strip nutrients and you don't want them bottoming out. Even then, keep skimmer on, just don't collect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back