Wave Maker Positioning

Flyangler33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

As I continue on this journey with the new tank, 1 thing I noticed is the placement of wave makers. Seems to be more toward the top of the tank in a lot of tanks. Curious on what is the best way to play/test flow out without really having any wavy corals in the tank yet? Its an IM Fusion 2 pro 50 Gallon AIO tank I have 2 vortech mp10's trying to figure out the best place to position them for a mixed reef ultimate goal. Pics attached so you can see the scape as well.

20240409_173608.jpg 20240409_173622.jpg 20240409_173631.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/3 of the way down on either side. Enough flow for surface agitation, no sand blowing around and no dead spots. Harder to achieve with MP because you can't change directions.

OP
OP
F

Flyangler33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/3 of the way down on either side. Enough flow for surface agitation, no sand blowing around and no dead spots. Harder to achieve with MP because you can't change directions.
Would you position them offset as well like one more towards the front and one towards the back?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you position them offset as well like one more towards the front and one towards the back?
I would avoid a whirlpool and look for turbulence if that helps.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to place mine high so they are less of an eyesore. Also gets better surface agitation. I position mine one against the other so the flow bounces off each other for random flow patterns.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, for traditional pumps like your Vortech's, about 1/3 down, I tend to put mine a bit more towards the back so detritus behind the rocks gets taken care of, and a lower-flow environment is achieved toward the front for any corals that don't want a ton of flow while the top and back of the tank get a bunch of flow for Acros. Have the pumps in anti-sync (one is ramping up while the other is ramping down) but directly opposed to one another so that the collision of water creates randomized currents. But now that I've switched over to Gyres, they are about 1" beneath the surface on either side of the tank dead center...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back