When to add cuc

johnsamm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ao I just added my first two fish to my tank yesterday I have 2 vivid fancy clowns in my nuvo fusion 30L I was wondering when would be a good time to add a couple cuc 's to the tank

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?
Please post you Parameters!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct ^^^^ we like to know a bit more about your tank to give you the right advice on how many and what kind.
Can you post a pic of your awesome nuvo tank?

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned in your other thread that your your tank is just over 12 days old. If you get a cucumber now it will just starve and die because there is not enough micro fauna in the sandbed. You probably wont need one for many months to come...if ever.... but if you do, wait till your sand looks like this.

Regarding your other thread on CUC, put in a few blue leg hermits in about a months time once your fish have dirtied up the place. Best thing to do is just keep your fish healthy for now, watch ammonia since it is a fresh tank and keep up with water changes. Patience is key in this hobby.

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ lol edit, for some reason i thought we were talking about cuc = cucumbers cause I came across your other thread in the inverts forum...late nighto_O

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ lol edit, for some reason i thought we were talking about cuc = cucumbers cause I came across your other thread in the inverts forum...late nighto_O

Either way, you make a very valuable point about the clean up crew members starving. There are plenty of "CUC Starter Kits" out there, and most of them will simply die off due to lack of food.

As I am sure you have heard: Start slow. Get a couple of hermits for general tank grooming, and maybe a nassarius to get the small amount of waste in your sand bed. It may be a good idea to wait until you start to see the algae before adding other snails or herbivores. Anything else you get (shrimp, crabs, etc) will potentially have to actively be fed with a new tank (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 64 75.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back