3 Turbo Grazer snails, 3 Nassarius snails and 2 Emerald green crabs for 4 weeks
1 Neon Dottyback and 2 Camelback shrimp for 2 weeks

My water readings have been:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0 - 0.1
Nitrate 2.0
PH 8.0 - 8.2
Phosphates 0.03

I have yet change any of the media (carbon, phosphate & nitrate removing cubes or quartz rings) since I started the tank. Manual says to change the carbon and phosphate/nitrate cubes and 50% of the quartz rings every 30 days. Since my readings have been good do I need to change the media? When do I know it's time to do the changes?

Thanks.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The nitrate and phos can be tested and when they start to creep up again then replace media.

The normal quartz rings allow benificial bacteria to grow in them so I dont ever replace mine. They eventually breakdown and you have to add more.

Carbon as I understand it, is depleted quite quickly so unless you are changing that every few days due to a contamination your carbon hasn't been doing anything for a while now.

Depending on what water you use and
What corals you want to keep the media you use will be quite different.

ToddC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jalewis, I have one as well but the older, no-sump version. I got mine about 5 months ago. The only thing I have changed has been the carbon. I do weekly water changes usually, but no more than two weeks (25%). Carbon about once a month. I upgraded the skimmer, return pump, and a UV sterilizer. Put a AI 16HD on it, have several fish and coral. Pump was to get alot more flow for the corals in it.
I agree with the rings just needing replaced as needed, as you don't want to lose the bacteria. I'm just now going to replace the nitrate+phosphate media as it's been awhile and don't want to roll the dice. My numbers have all stayed on point though, but I just gotta watch my overfeeding. Good Luck!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back