Changing Filter Media

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 40 gallon aio by innovative marine, using the caddy with the fiber balls, ferric oxide pouches, and carbon pouches. I’ve had the tank for about 9 months now and it’s doing great, mix of softies and LPS and 2 clowns and a midas blenny, have never really had any issues. I have changed the filter media once in the last 8 months because I’ve heard it holds a lot of beneficial bacteria and the one time I did change it, it looked like a mini cycle took place water got cloudy but almost brown in a way, haven’t changed it since (4 months ago) I do clean and change the filter socks and fiber balls but that’s it. Just wondering if I should be changing the carbon and ferric oxide pouches.. I’ve assumed it’s fine because everything is thriving and the water is crystal clear.

Parameters if it matters here:
Temp: 78F
Nitrates: 18ppm
alkalinity: 8.5 dkh
mag: 1350ppm
calcium: 420ppm
Phosphates: .05-.15
nitrites and ammonia: 0

Thanks in advance!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon and ferris should be changed in the intervals recommended by manufacturer. The bio media doesn't ever need to be changed.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon and ferris should be changed in the intervals recommended by manufacturer. The bio media doesn't ever need to be changed.
well shet. lol it says every month. so don’t touch the fiber balls or filter sock?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well shet. lol it says every month. so don’t touch the fiber balls or filter sock?
Filter socks should be cleaned regularly. Weekly I think most people do. Allowing to sit will increase nitrate in the long run.

As for the carbon and ferris look into the changes they cause in a tank and decide if you want it in the first place. You may find that running all the time isn't even necessary.

OP
OP
eliaslikesfish

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks should be cleaned regularly. Weekly I think most people do. Allowing to sit will increase nitrate in the long run.

As for the carbon and ferris look into the changes they cause in a tank and decide if you want it in the first place. You may find that running all the time isn't even necessary.
Okay cool, I have been cleaning my filter sock once a week so that’s good. I’ll look into that, I appreciate it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back