when to frag baby polyps

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
520
Reaction score
0
Location
Philly, Pa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nuclear greens are growing amazing right now, and I would like to start a couple frags.
The babys are about 1/4" diameter now. When a baby polyps are showing good color and skirt etc. does that signal they are strong enough to take?
Do you usually wait longer? Only take adults?
 
I have fragged smaller polyps but they seem to take for ever to get big again....Not like PDs, which grow and get big fast. I have stopped fragging small Nuclear green polyps unless it is attached to a larger polyp, then the smaller ones seem to grow out faster. Why? I have no idea but that is my experience.
 
It kinda makes sense. Cutting it probably stunts its growth for a while until it heals those tissues...
Would you say your Nucs get big fast, or take a little while?
 
When attached to the colony they get big fast, but when cut from it they seem to be real slow. I have 2 polyps that are on separate frag plugs and they have been the same size for about 3-4 weeks, with no growth in size at all. This is the one difference for me between the NGs and PDs
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new