When to move SPS from frag rack to main display?

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a digitata mini colony in a frag rack on side of tank cuz I don’t want to fry it under my LEDs. Currently color is great, polyps out and all is well.

I’d like to move it out into center area where light is considerably higher as well as flow.

How long should I keep monti on the side before transitioning out?

PS I placed a tort directly into main display area and within three weeks went pale then CTN. And really don’t want to replay that mistake.

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most digis can handle really high light/PAR values without issue. However, have you considered renting a PAR meter? Better to know what you light intensity actually is than flying blind, especially if you think it may be too high.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it's growing on your rack it is adjusting to the light and currents on the rack. If you lower the light in the center of the tank to match what's going on at the frag rack the montipora should be happy after the move. Then, slowly crank up the lights if you like.

dvp95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going through the same odd transition. I have a bunch of sps in my coral QT. The are ready to go to my DT at different times. I have had a lot of bleaching going to my DT since my coral QT lights suck. I have recently upgraded my QT lights to match my DT to make it easier. Some take it very well, some bleach even on the sand in my DT. I have been leaving them on my sand for a good week as long as they look great before i move them up. I am just starting my transition to the DT now so its going to be slow over the next few weeks for me so I do not lose any more coral.

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will eventually get a true marine par meter cuz it’s cheaper than loosing corals!.

I do have el cheapo lux meter and it reads 132 center just above water level and 32 in corner of tank where monti is - that’s 4x change in lux. It’s 10pm here and spectrum is on the blue/violet side right now.

as soon as i get marine par I’ll measure across and more importantly depth to see where the heck I could place it and not stress the heck out of it.

691A771E-8581-4A0D-BB6C-B3A4E2D0D49E.jpeg AC029A6C-C5ED-408A-8E44-4CCE720173CD.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back