When to QT, and when not to

  • Thread starter Thread starter imDarrin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

imDarrin

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 15, 2026
Messages
19
Reaction score
29
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small AIO 5gal tank that has live rock, live sand and a handful of coral.
I'd like to add a hermit crab and pistol shrimp, but wondering if QT is necessary? Mixed answers on google, so thought I'd reach out to the experts.

Thank you all ahead of time.
 
The title of this thread could blow up the forum 🤣 🙃 🤪

I'm a big believer in QT'ing everything "wet", including fish, corals, snails, shrimp, you name it. This requires several, separate tanks.

But for a 5 gallon pico, that I'm assuming has no fish (and I would not suggest fish in a 5 gallon), I probably wouldn't worry too much. The only concern would be coral pests, and I guess you could do a coral QT tank for a 5 gallon coral DT, but in this case I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. If a 5 gallon coral tank gets infected with anything, I'd just start it over, as crass as that sounds 🤪

I think you should just add your hermits and the pistol shrimp, likely you'll be fine, and if you get coral pests they can be dealt with, or you can simple reset the tank.

Good luck!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new