When to separate

  • Thread starter Thread starter blkhawk10
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

blkhawk10

Big U G baby!
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
85
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a select pair of mocha storm clowns on divers den 2 weeks ago. Both were 1 3/8” and for the first week were swimming together and everything was good. Now the establishment of dominance began and one is chasing and nipping the other one. The one being chased hasn’t submitted that I’ve seen, but the aggressive one has twitched at the one it’s bullying. The chasing goes on and on and I wanna know how long I should let it happen before I separate them? I’d put the bullied one in an acclimation chamber inside the tank.
 
I bought a select pair of mocha storm clowns on divers den 2 weeks ago. Both were 1 3/8” and for the first week were swimming together and everything was good. Now the establishment of dominance began and one is chasing and nipping the other one. The one being chased hasn’t submitted that I’ve seen, but the aggressive one has twitched at the one it’s bullying. The chasing goes on and on and I wanna know how long I should let it happen before I separate them? I’d put the bullied one in an acclimation chamber inside the tank.


@JoshO

Got any incite?
 
agree bully in box :)
 
Yea they are the same size...I read about trying to get one bigger than the other one but I’m not sure how to do that in the same tank when both eat what’s given to them.
 
Bullying or physical abuse... if the lesser is getting visibly physically harmed then time to think about separating, but if just Bullying it's part of the process.
 
The fins are nipped a little bit but nothing crazy. I don’t know if that’s overboard or natural. I’m not understanding why the aggressor will twitch at the other one.
 
So I caught the aggressive clown today and put it in an acclimation box. I was curious as to how long I should leave it in there? I was thinking at least a day if not longer.
 
I took the opposite approach and put the bullied fish out of the tank for 3 days when I put the bullied fish (smaller) back in, it was lovely dovey for at least a month and now the larger one is back at it again. Doesn't bit or nip the smaller one but drives it back into a corner every time he ventures out. Today I taped a 4" diameter mirror to the side of the tank (50 gallon) and the larger clown as well as my yellow coris wrasse have been preoccupied with their image.
 
Leave them alone, survival of the fittest !
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new