When to stop antibiotics?

Gonzo Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I had brought a midas blenny with fluke into my tank. I didnt want to take any chances so I dosed prazi to my entire tank although other fiah showed no symptoms. Did 2 rounds of prazi and noticed everyone was ok the whole time but the blenny stopped eating and wouldn't come out of his cave. I have since bought a QT tank and almost all of humblefish suggested meds. This isnt happening to me again!

My question tho is , the lack of eating, tattered finds, and lethargy tells me that the blenny likely has a bacterial infection now. I have him in the new QT with the trio. When do I know to stop antibiotics and put him back in DT? I'm assuming it's not the second that he starts eating and becomes active again.

Thanks all!
Laz

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics usually work very slowly on fish. Normal to treat for 10-14 days. Keep in mind though that it is the fish's immune system that actually "cures" the fish. Really important to offer high quality foods to feed the immune system.

OP
OP
Gonzo Reefing

Gonzo Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics usually work very slowly on fish. Normal to treat for 10-14 days. Keep in mind though that it is the fish's immune system that actually "cures" the fish. Really important to offer high quality foods to feed the immune system.
To confirm, when medicating with furan 2, metro, and kanaplex, we do full doses of all 3 per instructions on the label. Correct? I have a hob, and power head aerating the water to help with oxygen depletion.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the complete dosing of the Trifecta:

Dosing Furan-2, KanaPlex, and Metroplex....

Make sure you dissolve the powders in a bowl of tank water before pouring it in! I'd recommend dosing one at a time, waiting a few minutes between each medication. If you've never used furan-2 it is going to turn your water green. It can potentially make reading an alert badge difficult but, as long as you seeded your qt, you'll be doing good sized waterchanges and should be fine. Also, you'll probably want to run a powerhead aimed at the surface of the water. Airstones will also aid in aeration. It is very important that you follow this for a minimum of 10 days, even if the fish starts looking good beforehand. Just like with humans you never want to end antibiotics too early.

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- 25% (or more) waterchange

If you need to go 14 days-
Day 11- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- 25% waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- 25% (or more) waterchange

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back