When to stop ghost feeding

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been ghost feeding omega one mini pellets just about every day for about 10 days. Right now my ammonia is 0.5, nitrates 10 - 20, nitrites 0.25ppm, and my ph is 8.0. I also dosed seachem stability for 7 days. My question is is this good enough to ghost feed or should I stop and just use dr. Tim’s? Also if I do continue to use these when should I stop?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using API test kit for Ammonia?
What was your nitrate level on day 1? Or 2? - Has it gone from zero to ~10/20 Or did it always read that high?

if it went from zero then your tank is cycling just fine. How many days were you thinking you needed to keep feeding the bacteria? The presence of nitrate indicates that the tank microfauna is alive.

Ammonia should move to zero and if you’re testing with API then you’re probably measuring ghosts- API is known for false positives especially NH3OH.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your nitrate level on day 1? Or 2? - Has it gone from zero to ~10/20 Or did it always read that high?

if it went from zero then your tank is cycling just fine. How many days were you thinking you needed to keep feeding the bacteria? The presence of nitrate indicates that the tank microfauna is alive.

Ammonia should move to zero and if you’re testing with API then you’re probably measuring ghosts- API is known for false positives especially NH3OH.
The only thing is I’m not sure how long to continue feeding my tank. I am using an API test kit and i started from 0 on all reading except pH. I got my first ammonia reading on the 21st 0.50 ammonia( well I’m counting that as my first because I have heard that the API test kit will usually read some ammonia) and it’s stayed the same ever since then. The only change has been in NO2 and NO3.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have a picture. This is from yesterday but there has been not change in the readings.

Attachments

• 53DF1DFB-4580-47E8-B1A1-B12C9EF63EA9.jpeg
    53DF1DFB-4580-47E8-B1A1-B12C9EF63EA9.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 182

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that you have only been seeing ammonia for a week I would probably continue one more week and then begin adding a little sea life that you can see.

It appears that you have A cycled Well underway, some people would advise you to start adding fish (and feeding them) today.

l think slower is safer.

others will tell you to stop testing with API - the colors and ppm levels being more worrisome than correct. Have you read any of @brandon429 Informative threads on Cycling available here on Reef2Reef?

one last question: What do you plan to keep in this system once the bacteria are metabolizing waste? Good luck!

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that you have only been seeing ammonia for a week I would probably continue one more week and then begin adding a little sea life that you can see.

It appears that you have A cycled Well underway, some people would advise you to start adding fish (and feeding them) today.

l think slower is safer.

others will tell you to stop testing with API - the colors and ppm levels being more worrisome than correct. Have you read any of @brandon429 Informative threads on Cycling available here on Reef2Reef?

one last question: What do you plan to keep in this system once the bacteria are metabolizing waste? Good luck!
Th and for responding! I actually came upon one of brandon429’s threads earlier today. Also my ammonia didn’t spike to like 2 or 4ppm is that alright. I know you said I should wait a week, and I was already planning to wait a while, but should I expect an ammonia spike or are my nitrifying bacteria working correctly. I also planned to add a yellow watchman goby as my first fish, but I’m not to sure now. I’ve heard some bad things about pistol shrimp so I’ll wait and see.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having an ammonia spike just indicates that you have excess ammonia in the water. If the bacteria are consuming it then that ammonia becomes nitrite, which becomes nitrate. You started with zero nitrate and now you have abundant nitrate which means your bacteria are present and doing their job.

I am not that familiar with yellow watchman goby and their hardiness in new tanks? If you add him today and feed him no more than you have been ghost feeding the only change to your system is that the goby will be eating before the bacteria do. Should be ok. If on the other hand you add same goby and feed him a lot more food then you might expect different results. Moral to the story. Feed any new fish lightly as your tank matures. Go slowly.

When are you going to change water to lower nitrates?

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having an ammonia spike just indicates that you have excess ammonia in the water. If the bacteria are consuming it then that ammonia becomes nitrite, which becomes nitrate. You started with zero nitrate and now you have abundant nitrate which means your bacteria are present and doing their job.

I am not that familiar with yellow watchman goby and their hardiness in new tanks? If you add him today and feed him no more than you have been ghost feeding the only change to your system is that the goby will be eating before the bacteria do. Should be ok. If on the other hand you add same goby and feed him a lot more food then you might expect different results. Moral to the story. Feed any new fish lightly as your tank matures. Go slowly.

When are you going to change water to lower nitrates?
Would you recommend that I do my water change in 7 days or should I do it now, and should I do one large water change. Also I have a 20 long so I’m open to more fish suggestions because i don’t plan on adding fish until my lights come in, which is Monday, but I’ll probably wait until a week from now just to make sure my system is stable. One last question. Should I wait for my ammonia to reach 0 to add anything. ppm because I tested today and it’s still at 0.50 ppm. My nitrites are also still at around 0.25 ppm. Sorry for all of the questions but I’ve become paranoid after seeing all of the horror stories across the internet.

EDIT: So I just went through and thoroughly read brandon429’s post and I think I got my answer to the last two questions. I’ll plan to do a water change on Monday, and add fish Tuesday or Wednesday. I’d still love to hear your input though.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. Reading Brandon is generally an interesting way to get up to speed.

I'm not a good resource for selecting fish, each keeper needs to figure out how many and what kind for themselves. A 20L will fill up quickly, ime. Once you figure out what to keep, feeding the fish will fuel nitrate production. The water change is a quick way to export nitrate infested waters and keep algae in check. If you are not running a light then algae won't be able to grow. I probably wait to change water until a day before the fish go in.

I just noticed your Build badge! The tank under the power box looks very nice so far. Is the water in the tank still a little cloudy or has that cleared up with the cycle? The rock scape is begging for fish, and maybe a clean-up crew (snails, hermit crabs,..) will be happy in there once you get the lights going and feeding the fish.

Best of luck with this new tank. I got excited a bit once I saw the tank with water just waiting for the new life to be installed.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. Reading Brandon is generally an interesting way to get up to speed.

I'm not a good resource for selecting fish, each keeper needs to figure out how many and what kind for themselves. A 20L will fill up quickly, ime. Once you figure out what to keep, feeding the fish will fuel nitrate production. The water change is a quick way to export nitrate infested waters and keep algae in check. If you are not running a light then algae won't be able to grow. I probably wait to change water until a day before the fish go in.

I just noticed your Build badge! The tank under the power box looks very nice so far. Is the water in the tank still a little cloudy or has that cleared up with the cycle? The rock scape is begging for fish, and maybe a clean-up crew (snails, hermit crabs,..) will be happy in there once you get the lights going and feeding the fish.

Best of luck with this new tank. I got excited a bit once I saw the tank with water just waiting for the new life to be installed.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
All of the water is clear now. It’s settled by the end of the night. I actually got my light in yesterday but I have to return them because one was broken and they just don’t fit on rimmed tanks. I’ll probably go with a vipaspectra or USA current marine light now since I can install those easily. I’m also really excited to get fish in, but I’m gonna take my time with it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back