Where are my inverts going?

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, who do I have to kick out of my tank??? 40 gallon AIO. A couple of weeks ago my blue coral banded shrimp that I've had for 2 years was mangled, then the next day was gone. Last week, one of my conch's was gone. I've had a pair for over a year. Today, I noticed that my anemone crab that I've had for about a year is missing. The newest additions to my tank are a pygmy hawkfish and an orchid dottyback, both added a couple of months ago. I know, hawkfish eat shrimp, but the coral banded shrimp was 3x it's size! Do hawkfish attack snails? What about the dottyback. I know they hunt bristle worms, but a crab? What gives? Any tips would be appreciated, I'm in fear of losing my blood shrimp next. The shrimp is huge, but the way things are going, I don't like his chances.

OP
OP
JayStro81

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dottyback is most likely the cause they’re known to eat inverts but I believe hawk fish do also
It makes sense, the dottyback was the last fish added, but do they eat crabs?? That's my biggest head scratcher.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't rule out the hawkfish. I keep a flame hawk in one of my predator tanks, he hunts live food with the rest of them. Either one or both could be guilty.

OP
OP
JayStro81

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't rule out the hawkfish. I keep a flame hawk in one of my predator tanks, he hunts live food with the rest of them. Either one or both could be guilty.
I went with the pygmy hawk thinking that since the shrimp in my tank were so much bigger that it wouldn't be a problem. The fish is no bigger than my thumbnail. I may pull them both from my tank. The dottyback is easy catch, but the hawk might be a problem since he stays on the bottom. Now that I think about it, I may try the dottyback first. The hawk is really timid, when I feed my fish he stays to himself and doesn't get near any of the other fish in the tank. It's a really timid fish. But who knows, he could be a silent killer.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the pygmy hawk thinking that since the shrimp in my tank were so much bigger that it wouldn't be a problem. The fish is no bigger than my thumbnail. I may pull them both from my tank. The dottyback is easy catch, but the hawk might be a problem since he stays on the bottom. Now that I think about it, I may try the dottyback first. The hawk is really timid, when I feed my fish he stays to himself and doesn't get near any of the other fish in the tank. It's a really timid fish. But who knows, he could be a silent killer.

They really are, very sneaky. That's why over the years I will include one in a predator tank if there's nothing big enough to eat them. The pygmy hawk can be just as aggressive as any other. Dottybacks can be nasty as well. I do have snails in my tank but I don't keep track of them. I'm surprised how many people still underestimate hawkfish.

OP
OP
JayStro81

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really are, very sneaky. That's why over the years I will include one in a predator tank if there's nothing big enough to eat them. The pygmy hawk can be just as aggressive as any other. Dottybacks can be nasty as well. I do have snails in my tank but I don't keep track of them. I'm surprised how many people still underestimate hawkfish.
Would a hawkfish eat a crab?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back