Where are my nutrients going?

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 32g mixed reef very low tech. No skimmer, no refugium. Just a canister filter with biohome pure rocks, rowaphos and active coal.

All the SPS I added would lose their color, and after a check up I discovered that both nitrates and phosphates were unmeasurably low, to my surprise. I dont really have any noticeable algae, so its not falsely low. The biohome rocks are supposedly able to remove nitrates, but I didn't consider they'd be this efficient?

I then started feeding a lot more (discovered that I had been extremely sparse up till now), and the SPS actually started growing quite a bit, and colouring up. A few weeks later my nutrients are still the same, and slowly some of my SPS are getting STN :/ All other values seem to be in check.

Im thinking the nutrients might still be the cause, but where in the world are they all disappearing to? oO
There are two clowns and one coral beauty in the tank.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months of the "tank uglies" followed. Lots of water changes, feeding the fish a bit more, brushing algae off the rocks and siphoning the algae out of the tank. Plus I added a Foxface that pecks at the algae. But in the end - now the tank is coming around nicely. Did have to change out my sand. Had Fiji Pink in there and it was a dirt/diatom magnet. Replace it with a bit coarser Special Grade and it looks much better.

For got to say "Welcome to R2R! Great to have you on board!

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months of the "tank uglies" followed. Lots of water changes, feeding the fish a bit more, brushing algae off the rocks and siphoning the algae out of the tank. Plus I added a Foxface that pecks at the algae. But in the end - now the tank is coming around nicely. Did have to change out my sand. Had Fiji Pink in there and it was a dirt/diatom magnet. Replace it with a bit coarser Special Grade and it looks much better.

For got to say "Welcome to R2R! Great to have you on board!

Oh interesting, I hope I can avoid that though :p. I pulled 70% of the biohome stuff to see if that has any impact to begin with

And thanks bud :-D Its great to be here!

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 32g mixed reef very low tech. No skimmer, no refugium. Just a canister filter with biohome pure rocks, rowaphos and active coal.

All the SPS I added would lose their color, and after a check up I discovered that both nitrates and phosphates were unmeasurably low, to my surprise. I dont really have any noticeable algae, so its not falsely low. The biohome rocks are supposedly able to remove nitrates, but I didn't consider they'd be this efficient?

I then started feeding a lot more (discovered that I had been extremely sparse up till now), and the SPS actually started growing quite a bit, and colouring up. A few weeks later my nutrients are still the same, and slowly some of my SPS are getting STN :/ All other values seem to be in check.

Im thinking the nutrients might still be the cause, but where in the world are they all disappearing to? oO
There are two clowns and one coral beauty in the tank.

These days our tanks are very efficient at exporting NO3 and PO4. You may need to start dosing those inorganic nutrients to keep your corals happy. You can try to keep adding more and more fish and fish food but if you start seeing Cyano or Dinos you have gone too far.

OP
OP
Filipabp

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These days our tanks are very efficient at exporting NO3 and PO4. You may need to start dosing those inorganic nutrients to keep your corals happy. You can try to keep adding more and more fish and fish food but if you start seeing Cyano or Dinos you have gone too far.

Yeah adding more fish is my current plan. A royal gramma joined the party today, and Im planning on one more at least - any suggestions? :)

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love blue green chromis! They are alway active and give my tank a lot of life. Should be fed multiple times a day. So pellets on a timer is a good choice.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back