Where Are You On This chart?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm just past the bottom of the valley now. Still a ways to go, but I can quickly identify and fix mistakes, most of the time.
IMG_2161.jpeg

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping a clean algae free tank… definitely below average. My tank never looks as good as any ones on here.

However I’m probably slightly above average at keeping my corals alive and growing. I know what works and what doesn’t at this point, and only lose corals due to accidents or mishaps these days. Granted I don’t do any sps.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this almost 50 years......and still Incompetent...
I'm sure that's not the case despite how you view it. But time isn't all equal either. An hour a day versus 8 hours a day per year, for example. That's why I will never be an expert, because I won't ever have reefing as my profession and the all day exposure to it they get. But I think we can all find a spot we are comfortable with.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that's not the case despite how you view it. But time isn't all equal either. An hour a day versus 8 hours a day per year, for example. That's why I will never be an expert, because I won't ever have reefing as my profession and the all day exposure to it they get. But I think we can all find a spot we are comfortable with.
Just being a little facetious....LOL

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in fishkeeping for awhile, though reefkeeping particularly for over two years. Been through hell and back with this tank, lost my first saltwater 6 months in, but am achieving some real growth and stability on my system. I'd say somewhere in between the last two points. Definitely haven't mastered this hobby (as I haven't really kept any fish yet, still waiting on an aussie import (that's reef safe and on my stock list) that makes it though my LFS's QT) but I've been able to keep almost every LPS I've gotten alive and once I finish killing the LPS eating sea spiders I'll have (hopefully) achieved full stability. Still not brave enough to try acros (I get all my corals wild caught and am not confident enough to try wild caught acros)

This is a great question, really gives time to reflect on past experiences :)

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love the theory behind the Dunning-Kruger effect.
I’ve had tanks off and on for a long time and if I’m being honest I’m probably somewhere just to the left of average.
Im right there with you. Been keeping tanks both fresh and salt off and on since I was a kid. I have bred a ton of fish and inverts had great success with corals but I've also lost stuff due to not knowing enough or stupid mistakes. Somewhere left of average.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m definitely in the confident range. I have fish older than my 2 grandkids, (6 and 9). Sps are in a constant growth mode. I think I’m on “cruise control” My only challenge is making sure nobody’s stinging anyone. I don’t think that constitutes “expert” status but one might have a tough time convincing friends and family otherwise. Good question, makes you think.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back