Where can I buynlow sodium shrimp

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So I feed my eels Krill but the krill is small and it would be easier to feed something larger. The raw shrimp at the market has 680 mg of sodium per about 6 shrimp. That seems like too much for the fish. They said they use the same shrimp in the display case. Will all shrimp have that much sodium and is that ok? I mean if I go to a specialized market.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So I feed my eels Krill but the krill is small and it would be easier to feed something larger. The raw shrimp at the market has 680 mg of sodium per about 6 shrimp. That seems like too much for the fish. They said they use the same shrimp in the display case. Will all shrimp have that much sodium and is that ok? I mean if I go to a specialized market.

Shrimp is naturally a bit high in sodium, then they add sodium tripolyphosphate to reduce water loss when thawing. To be honest, I never worry about it with uncooked whole shrimp. Water thawing supposedly helps reduce the sodium for human consumption, but the drawback is that also washes away nutrients that the fish needs. I just air thaw shrimp, and have done that for 40+ years with no apparent issue. That said, shrimp alone is not a complete diet. You could try supplementing it with squid and small fish like silversides.

Jay

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Where can you buy silversides? I used to be able to get squid at the local markets but now I can't find it. Maybe a prigate market withh have it. I feed them frozen chunks or partially thawed chunk of krill to get big pieces into them. i'd prefer unthawed larger pieces of shrimp.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Where can you buy silversides? I used to be able to get squid at the local markets but now I can't find it. Maybe a prigate market withh have it. I feed them frozen chunks or partially thawed chunk of krill to get big pieces into them. i'd prefer unthawed larger pieces of shrimp.

Raw squid may be an issue - I've seen it in 5 pound blocks...too much for you I think. You can get thawed squid, but I'm not sure that you can refreeze it. Your local fish store can order silversides for you. You can also order them online:

Jay

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp is naturally a bit high in sodium, then they add sodium tripolyphosphate to reduce water loss when thawing. To be honest, I never worry about it with uncooked whole shrimp. Water thawing supposedly helps reduce the sodium for human consumption, but the drawback is that also washes away nutrients that the fish needs. I just air thaw shrimp, and have done that for 40+ years with no apparent issue. That said, shrimp alone is not a complete diet. You could try supplementing it with squid and small fish like silversides.

Jay
I recently found raw frozen peeled, devines and without tail shrimp that only had 125g of sodium per four pieces. So I gave them that and they like it better. I was feedong them frozen or semi froze chucks of krill so I could get large amounts to them since krill is smaller. That worked ok but sometimes they would miss or the krill would thaw enough to come apart. Thank you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back