Where can I get small tube worms?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want them tiny tube worms, not the big fancy feather dusters. The ones that often live in a white hard tubes.
How do people get them?
Also, do they reproduce in the tank?
Cheers.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank for over 2 years so I don't think they'll appear anytime soon.
Did you start with all dry rock? I have 4 tanks running and have the little tube worms in all of them but used some live rock in all. My oldest system has so many in the sump they are becoming a nuisance.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want them tiny tube worms, not the big fancy feather dusters. The ones that often live in a white hard tubes.
How do people get them?
Cheers.
Tube worms will proliferate if the water is full of their food which I presume is microscopic living and nonliving particles. In my system, these did not appear until I started dosing trace elements (CheatoGro). There growth and pineapple sponge growth exploded. I continue to dose and they continue to appear all over.

I assume my system had been trace element depleted for years and lacked the kind of microorganisms in the numbers needed to supoort filter feeders

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an LFS with a tank full of live rock/long term cured rock they sell? If so grab a small piece with white tubes on it.

Another ultra budget (if hit or miss) is to ask the LFS for a few empty shells from their hermit crab tank.

A more expensive but much more comprehensive option is to order live rock from any of the online vendors folks regularly recommended on here.

/haven’t personally ordered from any so will hold from giving recommendations

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was half asleep when I posted earlier. After taking a look in one of my sumps I'm not sure that these are something I would wish for. This is couple months after I scraped out a 4 cup measuring cup packed full of them. I even had to put a screen over my skimmer intake to keep them out.
20230911_085117.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How do people get them?
Cheers.
Often, LFS live rock may contain them and in time they appear especially in the sump

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with all dry rock? I have 4 tanks running and have the little tube worms in all of them but used some live rock in all. My oldest system has so many in the sump they are becoming a nuisance.
I started with mostly live rocks. It had sponges, worms, pods, & etc which I still got but guess it didn't have the tube worms.

These?
Or the really, really small brown ones?
The really small brown ones.

Have you added any frags recently? They don't just spontaneously "poof" into existence
No, never had any corals or fish. I mostly grow inverts (excluding corals) in a nano tank.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this old. But I have been looking for these for a while and just found some at two fish stores. They charged my 5 bucks for a clump. Hopefully they will reproduce, I only had them in my first tank years ago, got a copper band and it wiped them out.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy wild caught corals. You'll get everything from those, any hitchhiker you can think of, spaghetti worms, chitons, peanut worms (and unfortunately sea spiders)

My tank is covered in duster tubes and it's only a year old, of course started with dry rock

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back