where do I buy reef safe magnets?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rng_pw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rng_pw

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
612
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im needing to make some frag racks. I have an acrylic tank with 3/4 inch walls and I need a strong reef safe magnet to hold up the racks. What are you guys using and where can I get me some. Thanks.
 
Rare Earth Magents, Ceramics etc...

If you are weary just coat them in plasti-dip or cyanoacrylite.
 
Does Lowes or Home depot carry ceramic magnets. If not where is the best place to find them?
 
has any one ever tried the neodymium magnets? If so how pull force should I look for if my acrylic is 3/4 inch thick? I do plan on getting plastic coated magnets
 
I made a bunch of frag racks for friends and club members using black eggcrate, neodymium magnets and 2 part epoxy.
I used the 1" dia x 3/8" thick for the inside that was enclosed in epoxy and for people who had 3/4" glass/acrylic, I used the same sized magnet for the outside.
 
those are some huge magnets. How big of a frag rack will they hold
 
those are some huge magnets. How big of a frag rack will they hold



I was making them 12" x 5", using 2 on the inside and 2 on the outside.
You could go even a little longer, maybe a inch, inch and a half.
I made some that were 23"x 5-1/2" using 3 sets of magnets.
 
Here is a little more info and a couple pictures.
When I first started this project, I used a polyester casting resin, but a couple people became concerned about the polyester resin becoming brittle and breaking up in about 3-5 months ( I think).
I then switched to a 2 part epoxy.
I recently talked to most of the people that had the racks made from polyester resin and everyone said their frag racks were just fine, after about a year. I have a couple that are a little older.

frag racks - Reef Central Online Community
 
those are nice frag racks. Thanks for all of the info
 
those are nice frag racks. Thanks for all of the info

Thanks
If you have any questions on how I made them feel free to ask. It's really pretty easy.
 
So you used them on the inside and the outside of the tank? If not what do you use on the out side, and how big of a frag rack were you able to make with them? thanks again for all of your help.

 
So you used them on the inside and the outside of the tank? If not what do you use on the out side, and how big of a frag rack were you able to make with them? thanks again for all of your help.

I was making them 12" x 5", using 2 on the inside and 2 on the outside.
You could go even a little longer, maybe a inch, inch and a half.
I made some that were 23"x 5-1/2" using 3 sets of magnets.
 
sounds good thanks for all of your help. I will be ordering my magnets today.
 
Ok so my magnets will be in today. Is there a specific brand of two part epoxy that i should use?
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new