where do these crazy names for coral come from?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 760mason
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Bump for a fun conversation. :) I have a few names I want to use...just haven't found the right corals yet. :tongue:
 
Bump for a fun conversation. :) I have a few names I want to use...just haven't found the right corals yet. :tongue:

HAHAHA, be on the look out!
Let me put a good word in to T and maybe he'll let you name a few.
 
So no ones knows? Is it named by the person that found it? They all have a very scientific name but who is the guy that called a zoa a jedi mind trick? Or is it just something that is just accepted. Some of the names are just crazy nerdy. I was just wondering is there a group of reef nerds that come up with the names. They all seem to be accepted as what the coral is. Just a dumb question but someone should have the answer out their.
 
It also seems like certain keywords used in the name of some corals, like "ultra", "psycho" etc. will automatically bump the price by a good $50USD at least.
But yes, bump, somebody explain this name generation process!
 
I confess... I make up the names...and then I send out a list to the vendors... :tongue:

I'm pretty sure that vendors make them up for the corals they get from their wholesalers.
 
Remember the D-Day............. I do and there were a few more.
 
I named the electric Oompa Loompa what I did because when I found them I hadn't seen anything like them before and I wanted to submit them to coralpedia. They are the same color as the Oompa Loompas in charley and the chocolate factory and I thought it would be funny to hear people say they wanted or had Oompa Loompas and I still get a kick out of it to this day. The electric part was because of how bright they are but also because the zoa names were in alphabetical order and I wanted it to be closer to the front of the list. That was the first coral I named and I haven't really named many since then.
 
There's a zoanthid called the "blue ******" zoanthid :der:
 
well the asterisks don't help much
 
I named the electric Oompa Loompa what I did because when I found them I hadn't seen anything like them before and I wanted to submit them to coralpedia. They are the same color as the Oompa Loompas in charley and the chocolate factory and I thought it would be funny to hear people say they wanted or had Oompa Loompas and I still get a kick out of it to this day. The electric part was because of how bright they are but also because the zoa names were in alphabetical order and I wanted it to be closer to the front of the list. That was the first coral I named and I haven't really named many since then.
so there is a coralpedia?hahaha
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new