Where does the Klir filter roller fit? | #AskBRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R!

We have a new #AskBRStv question from the YouTube comments section on one of our previous videos, this one T Surro was wondering if the rolling filters from Klir fit in the Red Sea Reefer tanks.

The short answer is that the Red Sea sock holders are a bit smaller than traditional 4" holders, so the Klir doesn't fit out of the box, but there are other options that I walk through in today's video. :)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet a 3d printed bracket for RedSea reefers would have a bunch of customers.... *Starts modeling* .

Unfortunately I have just the reefer, just not the roller.

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed one of this filter on a Icecap 30 reef sump and I am very unhappy with it.
First it all I wanted to use to filters but unfortunately they don’t fit,
1. You have to have one facing the front and one facing the back of the sump and you also need about 4” extra because the motor cover sticks out.
2. CoralVue still does not have the “Y “ cable that let you to use to filters in one sump.

3. The filter does not capture all the dirt like the sock does.

My sump is dirtier that ever and I have to clean the glass ones a day rather than ones a week.

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed one of this filter on a Icecap 30 reef sump and I am very unhappy with it.
1. You have to have one facing the front and one facing the back of the sump and you also need about 4” extra because the motor cover sticks out.
2. CoralVue still does not have the “Y “ cable that let you to use to filters in one sump.

My sump is dirtier that ever and I have to clean the glass ones a day rather than ones a week.

MykDoyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MykDoyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one and have to say I’m unhaooy with it too. In fact I went back to socks a week ago. I went through several rolls and finally figured out that the bubble coming from my return line are hitting the sensor and causing it to feed ... thus empty the filter roll. Be wary of getting one if you have the same issue. I could get it to work by putting in a mechanical filter but then what’s really the point. Now it sits outside if my sump

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all why is anyone even using particle filters their reefs? It is so counter intuitive. In nature corals feed 24/7... since taking my socks off my sump years ago I have seen the benefits first hand and still able to run an ULNS with heavy feeding. In my opinion these types of videos are produced to push product you don't need. Reading the comments of others here were very unhappy with it. Figure out nutrient export methods that your tank needs not ones that it doesn't.

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one and have to say I’m unhaooy with it too. In fact I went back to socks a week ago. I went through several rolls and finally figured out that the bubble coming from my return line are hitting the sensor and causing it to feed ... thus empty the filter roll. Be wary of getting one if you have the same issue. I could get it to work by putting in a mechanical filter but then what’s really the point. Now it sits outside if my sump
You needed to turn the filter around to get the sensor away from the in coming water.

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coralvue does have the y adapter in stock. I was on the site today looking to get it plus another klir filter for my second sock location on my icecap 36xl sump.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have one installed on an IceCap 30 sump and it fits perfectly so I'm not sure why you say it doesn't fit. To me, it seems like the inventor designed the KLIR around a IceCap sump sock tray.
I only use one KLIR and cover the other sock opening with their diverter cap granted I have probably only about 650 gph flowing through.
The 50 micron fleece roll does better than the 200 micron socks, I can tell from the bottom of the sock compartment because it does not have as much detritus as with the socks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back