Where is 5 Gallons on my buckets?

twobytwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, on the average bucket (Reef Crystals or a Home Depot bucket, for example) - where is it 5 Gallons, when filled with water. Is it right to the top, or one or the 'rims' around the side? Just curious because I use them to measure how much water I remove during a water-change.

FUIceman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question and I've wondered that myself. I've taken to using the line on the inside about an inch or two below the top. It's faint but clear. Don't know if that's right, but that's what I tend to go by. Following. Curious

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, on the average bucket (Reef Crystals or a Home Depot bucket, for example) - where is it 5 Gallons, when filled with water. Is it right to the top, or one or the 'rims' around the side? Just curious because I use them to measure how much water I remove during a water-change.
Total volume on standard 5 gallon buckets is usually to the first tab line down on the side of the bucket. The most efficient way to tell would be to put RODI water in the bucket tared on a scale and fill it to 41.7 lbs. Some weird ones like pool chemical buckets might be a bit different since those products have to have expansion volume, so the overall bucket might be a bit bigger than 5 gallons.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it would be much easier to just fill a milk jug (or any container that has measuring marks on it) 5 times so you know exactly?

That is what I did with 2 of my buckets. I marked each gallon line with a sharpie. I did it twice because one was a home depot bucket and the other was menards.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it a moot point.....however much you make to some mark on the bucket, that's how much you take out. Don't really need to know volume. That is what I do with the two 32 gallon Brutes I have....make up approximately 25 gallons and note the height on the Brute, and that's how much I take out.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total volume on standard 5 gallon buckets is usually to the first tab line down on the side of the bucket. The most efficient way to tell would be to put RODI water in the bucket tared on a scale and fill it to 41.7 lbs. Some weird ones like pool chemical buckets might be a bit different since those products have to have expansion volume, so the overall bucket might be a bit bigger than 5 gallons.
Correct. First tab line down.
I did the one gallon volume fill thing.

It's very helpful when making salt imo.
I use Io , it's 800 grams to five gallons. Comes out perfectly every time. I used to use Rcsp , and the grams needed are listed right on the bucket as well. (730?) as I recall.

Radio_davio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question and I've wondered that myself. I've taken to using the line on the inside about an inch or two below the top. It's faint but clear. Don't know if that's right, but that's what I tend to go by. Following. Curious
Good to know when you're trying to determine the flow rate of your home water well!

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On water change day you can just siphon water into some pails. Depending on what your tank size is you can figure out pretty easy how much you're dealing with.
With my 60 cube, if I account for glass thickness, let's say 3/8", and I empty 2" out of the tank into a pail. I can multiply 23.25x23.25x2" and end up with about 4.7 gallons.
Just another way of doing it.

TjB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. First tab line down.
I did the one gallon volume fill thing.

It's very helpful when making salt imo.
I use Io , it's 800 grams to five gallons. Comes out perfectly every time. I used to use Rcsp , and the grams needed are listed right on the bucket as well. (730?) as I recall.
Can I just mix 5 gallons at a time and add it to my brute container? Or should I just fill up 25 gallons into my container and then add the salt? I'm just wondering if mixing 5 gallons at a time would the salinity change when adding it all together? (Not sure if I explained that question very well lol)

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always assumed 5 gallons was as close to the top as you can get. I guess thats why I always end up having to adjust my salt mix lol.

TjB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always assumed 5 gallons was as close to the top as you can get. I guess thats why I always end up having to adjust my salt mix lol.
My 5 gallon home depot bucket was about 5 gallons at just above the second rim around the bucket. I weighed it to 41.7 pounds lol and thats the mark I got

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a bucket with gallon marks on the side. I used to have one. Some buckets, like the old Oceanic that was 200 gallons were like almost 8 gallons.

You can fill a brute all of the way up, then add the salt and pump. Add the heater later. Cold water mixes better. FWIW - 44 gallon brute about an inch from the top take 50 gallon bag of IO perfectly to 1.026.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back