Where is all the alkalinity going in a fish only?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, I have a 180 fish only with 5 fish & 2 Soft corals ,a toad stool & Kenya tree.
Dispite the ato with full concentration of Kalkwasser & 25 to 30 mls of parts 1 & 2 I can barely keep alk in the very low 7o,'s If I miss a day it drops to mid 6's every time.
I can keep dosing this but trying to figure out where it all goes. Or am I over reacting .
There is very little hardening of the sand bed. Nothing to consume it. I dose the alk every day equal amount if Ca every other day can answer just about any question You have.
Any ideas? Thanks !

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up question, what test kit are you determining your levels with?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of snails in there.
Off track, but about how many snails?
Are you still in an ugly stage with this tank?

We have a 75 gallon tank.
I can't keep alive more than 4 turbos, 5 trochus, a money snail, and maybe 5-6 smaller remaining hemit crabs.

Always wondered how people kept more than that.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@norfolkgarden , I need to quantify the snail numbers there are around 30 snails . When I see a little more algae I ad more snails . I guess I meant a lot for the amount of algae in this tank. Iv'e not really seen a big ugly stage. Some diatoms & cyano that has since disipated. The tank,180 gl has been going for almost 2 years

Last edited:

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@norfolkgarden , I need to quantify the snail numbers there are around 30 snails . When I see a little more algae I ad more snails . I guess I meant a lot for the amount of algae in this tank. Iv'e not really seen a big ugly stage. Some diatoms & cyano that has since disipated. The tank,180 gl has been going for almost 2 years
Nice! Pictures!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No precipitation? How’s your mg level?
I have about the same amount of snails plus probably 20 hermits, and a golf ball sized pincushion urchin with just a bit more water volume then you I’m now dosing 36 ml of each 2 part and 1500 ml of kalk a day. I only have 3 small SPS frags the rest are leathers and euphyllia and I had to bump up my doser after today’s testing. Oddly I’m also losing 10 ppm of mg a week as well. And up till September I hadn’t had a change in mg lvl since last April my book shows.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test just to night aks 6.3 ! Didn't dose today. 35 is about what I need to keep it at low 7's

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back