Where is this white algae coming from?

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a relatively new system, waterbox 105.4. Cycled using algebarn starter kit. Went smoothly, ammonia and nitrites dropped to zero as expected. Added a two clowns as starter fish.

I expected new tank syndrome but not white flaky type of algae. Or could it be bacterial this early? This is my second tank so I was careful to make sure my mechanical and biological filtration is good.

Every time I shut of my main pump to change the water and then turn it back on, I get this flaky algae type of stuff all over the tank. I noticed it’s coming from the two nozzles but I can’t pinpoint where it’s accumulating. I checked the pump and pump end of the hose and there is nothing slimy growing. Nozzles look clean as well with nothing growing on them. I’m stumped where it could be coming from. My sump is also clean. I inspected the return chamber of the sump and did not notice anything slimy or anything coated on the glass. Same for the rest of the sump. It appears right as soon as I turn the pump on. I’m suspecting it’s in the return piping?

My reefmat 500 is working as it should so it’s catching anything coming into sump but it’s polluting my tank and takes about an hour or two to settle down. Rock is clean. DT glass is clean. I don’t see anything in the DT, just normal brown stage on sand that’s about to clear up.

I’m a bit stumped about this white flaky stuff this early in a tank. I have UV coming early next week to see if it will help.

Skimmer is working as it should. Current nitrates are around 20ppm.

Any thoughts? What could it be?

IMG_0461.png IMG_0462.jpeg IMG_0463.jpeg

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up a relatively new system, waterbox 105.4. Cycled using algebarn starter kit. Went smoothly, ammonia and nitrites dropped to zero as expected. Added a two clowns as starter fish.

I expected new tank syndrome but not white flaky type of algae. Or could it be bacterial this early? This is my second tank so I was careful to make sure my mechanical and biological filtration is good.

Every time I shut of my main pump to change the water and then turn it back on, I get this flaky algae type of stuff all over the tank. I noticed it’s coming from the two nozzles but I can’t pinpoint where it’s accumulating. I checked the pump and pump end of the hose and there is nothing slimy growing. Nozzles look clean as well with nothing growing on them. I’m stumped where it could be coming from. My sump is also clean. I inspected the return chamber of the sump and did not notice anything slimy or anything coated on the glass. Same for the rest of the sump. It appears right as soon as I turn the pump on. I’m suspecting it’s in the return piping?

My reefmat 500 is working as it should so it’s catching anything coming into sump but it’s polluting my tank and takes about an hour or two to settle down. Rock is clean. DT glass is clean. I don’t see anything in the DT, just normal brown stage on sand that’s about to clear up.

I’m a bit stumped about this white flaky stuff this early in a tank. I have UV coming early next week to see if it will help.

Skimmer is working as it should. Current nitrates are around 20ppm.

Any thoughts? What could it be?

IMG_0461.png IMG_0462.jpeg IMG_0463.jpeg
Harmless fungus or extra nutrients

OP
OP
S

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harmless fungus or extra nutrients
Anything I can do besides what I’m already doing? I’m going to feed less. My skimmer is on all the time. I also am doing 5 gallon water changes about every other day.

Also what’s this fungus? I’m relatively new to this hobby.

Jasc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything I can do besides what I’m already doing? I’m going to feed less. My skimmer is on all the time. I also am doing 5 gallon water changes about every other day.

Also what’s this fungus? I’m relatively new to this hobby.
Syphon it, algae cleaners, stronger water flow

OP
OP
S

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Syphon it, algae cleaners, stronger water flow
Once in the tank my reefmat cleans it in a few hrs. CUC may be cleaning it after it settles on sand. I’m just a bit stumped where it’s growing. I upped the flow. It looks like it’s growing in the highest flow are which is return line itself I think? It’s not in the tank or sump.

OP
OP
S

SWFT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also going to deploy algae scrubber next week hopefully.

Bxr126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot of filtration on a new tank. Don't drive those nutrients to zero.

mattnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I am having the exact same issue. Seems to be forming in the return lines. My best guess is some sort of bacteria? I run my DC return pump @ 50% if I momentarily bumpy it to 100% my tank gets blasted with the white stringy stuff. Any update on yours? I’ve been searching and no one seems to really know what it is. Best guess seems to be bacteria.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back