Where should I place my media reactor in the sump?

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm asking the question, where should I place my media reactor in the sump, before my skimmer, with my skimmer or after the skimmer in the return pump section?
limited space in the sump, but I'd love to know where you guys think it would be most effective?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place my media reactor, whether it be carbon, or carbon and GFO after my skimmer and put my return line in the return section of my sump.

I am not sure if their is a correct way and a wrong way, just the way we do it.

OP
OP
GaryM1966

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place my media reactor, whether it be carbon, or carbon and GFO after my skimmer and put my return line in the return section of my sump.

Thanks Bill,
So do you think if I only had room for it in the section where the skimmer is it would be ok, keep in mind that the water out from this reactor is the type that flows out of the top and down along the upright tube?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fine. Eventually it all go's thru the same section. I am not sure if their is a right and wrong way, maybe a more efficient way, but not sure of its the right or wrong way. I don't use a header off of my return pump. I use a secondary pump to supply flow to my reactor. It is in the chamber after my skimmer and I dump it into my return chamber. On my upgrade I plan on doing the same thing.

OP
OP
GaryM1966

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fine. Eventually it all go's thru the same section. I am not sure if their is a right and wrong way, maybe a more efficient way, but not sure of its the right or wrong way. I don't use a header off of my return pump. I use a secondary pump to supply flow to my reactor. It is in the chamber after my skimmer and I dump it into my return chamber. On my upgrade I plan on doing the same thing.
Very good, I understand what you mean, perhaps a reactor that pumps out would be more efficient and that would mean I would have skimmed and media treated water in the return section getting pumped into the display tank.

OP
OP
GaryM1966

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N
Agreed don't think there is a wrong way. I run mine before my gfo and carbon...
Not sure what you mean Greg, I'm going to be running GFO and Carbon in the reactor, question I'm asking is before the skimmer or with the skimmer or even after the skimmer :)
as it turns out with the reactor I'm looking at I only have one choice and thats in the same section as the skimmer, and if you agree like Bill that it doesn't matter then all is good.
Thank you both for taking the time to reply to me.

Adsy541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have to put it in your sump ? Can you hang one off the side or back I have a nano and want to lower phosphate..

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 148 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 188 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.7%
Back