Where to buy anemones

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’m hoping to add some more aquacultured types to my bta tank and having trouble finding somewhere with a variety of strains. I’m seeing mostly rainbows and black widows out there right now. Coral collection looked awesome but it seems they’ve gone out of business. I’m not looking for super end anemones, just a little variety. Anyone have any suggestions for a store or reefer who might be able to help me out? Thanks!

OP
OP
emilybell1

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the selling forums ! And I wouldn’t go with coral anonymous
I’ve been keeping an eye out and posting wtb threads. It seems like mostly rainbows and really high end stuff right now. I have a beautiful rainbow and a Sherman so looking for more different colors that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a bunch of frags from @jdm1114 and the BTA he has in this thread is very nice yet affordable. Definitely would recommend him, but if you want nothing else he has the shipping cost may make a single BTA purchase unreasonable.

OP
OP
emilybell1

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a bunch of frags from @jdm1114 and the BTA he has in this thread is very nice yet affordable. Definitely would recommend him, but if you want nothing else he has the shipping cost may make a single BTA purchase unreasonable.

I just put in an order with him a month or so ago! I wish he would have had the anemones then haha

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best place to get nems is the selling forum, or a local club. BTA 'strains' are highly gouged for no reason other than greed, anyone who has ever kept a BTA knows how fast they reproduce, and any vendor would still be able to make a good (if not better) profit selling at more accessible prices. But I digress. Keep in mind that many BTA strains don't get along and will commit to chemical warfare when kept together, as an example Sunburst anemones won't tolerate any other types of nem and will eventually wipe them out. (In my opinion I think GBTAs, RBTAs and Sunbursts must be different subspecies or something due to their behaviors, though that's beside the point).

OP
OP
emilybell1

emilybell1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best place to get nems is the selling forum, or a local club. BTA 'strains' are highly gouged for no reason other than greed, anyone who has ever kept a BTA knows how fast they reproduce, and any vendor would still be able to make a good (if not better) profit selling at more accessible prices. But I digress. Keep in mind that many BTA strains don't get along and will commit to chemical warfare when kept together, as an example Sunburst anemones won't tolerate any other types of nem and will eventually wipe them out. (In my opinion I think GBTAs, RBTAs and Sunbursts must be different subspecies or something due to their behaviors, though that's beside the point).
That’s mainly why I’m steering clear of the high end types. Too many stories of them not doing well in a mixed tank and I don’t want to dedicate another tank to them. I went with Sherman over black widow because I’ve heard those don’t play nice either. So far, mine are doing well. I keep a strict water change and carbon regiment which hopefully will continue to do the trick.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back