Where to find a simple pH & Temp Monitor

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got back into the hobby -- but with a much smaller tank (125g down to 45g).
I'm setting up the JBJ 45 AIO and am trying not to "over do it" this time $$$$.
I would really like to monitor (not control) the pH and Temp in the tank -- especially since this is a much smaller volume of water and more subject to fluctuations.
Frankly, I cannot find a "good value" unit that will monitor these parameters. I have no need to spend $500 to $700 on a controller when all I want to do is monitor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-gene

gnubbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I have taken the opposite approach and am currently making my 10 gallon (no sump) as needlessly complex as possible. So - out went the Milwaukee PH probe and in went a Neptune Apex... The good news is that I have a Milwaukee PH monitor that you can have - you would just need to buy a new probe (~$30 ebay). PM me if interested and I can toss it in the mail.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best bet would be a used reefkeeper lite, usually go for around 100-130 used. covers PH, temp, timers, controllers for at least 4 things, etc.

i did the math early on trying to save money and a good power strip was about $25, temp controllers was another 20-30, and i still didnt get anything beyond that at nearly $50. i ended up just buying a used RKL and its been great

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$90 just to test the 2? see my post above...

I did, but if you read the OP, all he wants to do is monitor not control.

“I would really like to monitor (not control) the pH and Temp in the tank ”

“all I want to do is monitor.”

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right but why not kill a lot more birds with $100 stone.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye is made specifically for monitoring... pH, Temp, and several other parameters. Expensive, though.

I'd not recommend a Reefkeeper to anyone, after my much less than satisfactory experience with them, but be able to control doesn't mean you _must_ control... and the Reefkeeper monitors pH and Temp just fine, and is going to be the cheapest, excepting manual testing, which isn't really monitoring, from my perspective.

Honestly, an Apex Jr might by my solution, if I were asking the question. Add a PM1 module, and you can monitor both parameters he's interested in, with greatly enhanced features, IF he ever wants to take advantage of them.

Tunze smartcontroller could do the job, but once again, it's not cheap.

A Pinpoint pH monitor and a cheap thermometer might be a good option.

Amazon has a 'Risepro' pH and Temp monitor for $40. I have no experience with this unit, and the reviews aren't good. IMHO, you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
McGene

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions. I purchased a temp monitor from my LFS (just trying to keep folks in business :)) but the thing is off by 3 degrees. I have a laser gun that seems to work really well. I got it for other purposes and found it to be spot on. It reads 80 as well as the Cobalt heater -- it says 77.3!
I'm gonna look into both the Reefkeeper Lite and the Apex Jr.
Since my tank is small (45g) and I'm thinking of just going FOWLR -- I'm not as worried about CA etc. as I used to be with my 125g -- thus, I don't need an expensive controller to switch on a calcium reactor, etc.
My tank has cycled and I'm ready for my first fish (or 2). Need to go easy to avoid a major bio load all at once!
Will keep in touch as thing progress.
BTW -- I did order an upgrade basket from InTank along with some media for it.
I'm also interested in replacing the 2 pumps that came with the system with a single pump (MightJet DC Return Pump 538 gph). Any experience with this pump?
-gene

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a nuvo 30, which uses all the same size "things" as the 40. i upgraded to the bigger sized mighty jet and its awesome, feed mode is great and its very very quiet. the intank baskets are greats too, i bought 1 media basket and 1 filter holder. i used a tunze 9004 dc in one of the returns now (its an awesome skimmer) so the filter floss holder isnt used anymore.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my tank is small (45g) and I'm thinking of just going FOWLR -- I'm not as worried about CA etc. as I used to be with my 125g -- thus, I don't need an expensive controller to switch on a calcium reactor, etc.

You don't _need_ a controller, but the usefulness of one is not reduced by not using a calcium reactor... At the low end, a controller can run your heater, lights, monitor pH, maybe send you an email if pH or Temp swing outside of your set tolerances... and most can be expanded into areas you're not even aware you have need for yet.

I resisted a controller for many years. Now that I've got one, I'm unlikely to ever own an aquarium without one again. Oh, and I don't run a calcium reactor either :)

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions. I purchased a temp monitor from my LFS (just trying to keep folks in business :)) but the thing is off by 3 degrees. I have a laser gun that seems to work really well. I got it for other purposes and found it to be spot on. It reads 80 as well as the Cobalt heater -- it says 77.3!
I'm gonna look into both the Reefkeeper Lite and the Apex Jr.
My tank has cycled and I'm ready for my first fish (or 2). Need to go easy to avoid a major bio load all at once!
Will keep in touch as thing progress.
BTW -- I did order an upgrade basket from InTank along with some media for it.
I'm also interested in replacing the 2 pumps that came with the system with a single pump (MightJet DC Return Pump 538 gph). Any experience with this pump?
-gene
How are you calibrating things? laser temp monitors are not all that accurate for reading water temps (there was another thread on them about a week ago.) Many of them only give a specified accuracy of ±5 F, or worse.

OP
OP
McGene

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using a temp monitor in the tank. As I mentioned, I don't think it's accurate. I bought a Hanna pH probe, calibrated it but don't think I'm getting an accurate reading there either. I have the basic test kit, but I'm color blind and have a difficult time comparing the color chart. I took a sample of water to my LFS. They use digital meters by Hanna and their pH reading was 8.1 where my meter said 7.7!
Anyway, I need to find a reliable means of monitoring the parameters.
I have found a guy selling a used (he says 6 months old) RK lite. I've attached a picture. He wants $200 for the whole set up. I would appreciate comments on this as a good value or not.
Thanks, guys!!!
-gene

RKL.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$200 for a used system, with zero support from DA... 4 controlled outlets, temp and pH probes in unknown condition.

I sold my RLK, the exact same setup, plus an extra PB4, for $75.

List price on an Apex Jr is $39 higher, brand new, and Neptune has reasonable support.

Brand new, RKL is $116, the SLX module is $80 (though out of stock), and a new probe is $35.

Nope. Doesn't sound like a deal to me.

OP
OP
McGene

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Graybeard!
I’ll probably keep looking. Don’t think he’s likely to come off $100

OP
OP
McGene

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Graybeard!
Guess I’ll keep looking. I don’t think he’ll drop the price that much

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back