Where to place FMK on UV

thewalkingdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a UV sterilizer for my new build. I will also have an FMK. I want to tune the UV to cover algae/bacteria and will need to dial in flow, hence the FMK.

Where would you install the FMK to get the most accurate reading, pre-UV sterilizer or post-UV sterilizer? Does it matter? What if you have to step-up or step-down the pipe diameter to accommodate the FMK. Where would you install it in that situation?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Hog. I have 1 1/2" return pipes and the sterilizer is the same. But my return pump is 1" so I'll need a step-up pipe.
Won’t be a problem. Just make sure UV exit is above UV supply so no air pockets get trapped in UV.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t really matter where you put the flow meter, though if memory serves Neptune recommends it be a foot or so from the pump. I’d put it where it is most easily serviced since they do clog up over time. 1” flow meter is quite restrictive. I use the 2” on my main return.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a recirculating system, time-dose reciprocity means almost any flow rate will be equally effective as long as it's not too low.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Hog. I have 1 1/2" return pipes and the sterilizer is the same. But my return pump is 1" so I'll need a step-up pipe.
I would maybe look to using the 2 inch flow sensor on that size pipe, that’s what I did on my 1 1/4 return pipe anyway, as I didn’t want to restrict flow

it is a big beast though by the time you get the adapters and fittings into it to get up to that size..

I placed my flow sensor off the manifold and ‘into’ the UVC and it gives an idea of the flow through it. It’s also in easy reach for any maintenance

just consider adding unions each side of the flow sensor for easy removal.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back