Whew close call!!

JenniferMcK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was a not a good day for phantom clowns. After they graduated copper treatment, they went into sterile tank. I put an alert badge on it, dosed a whole bottle biospira and they were good to go. Added GC 2 days ago. All is well. Wrong! today I noticed my female clown breathing rapidly, sinking to bottom, being blown around by the filter current. Then I noticed the water was some what cloudy...uh oh... So I checked salinity: just a tad high. Then I checked my ammonia just to be sure: so glad I did bc ammonia was at .5, alert badge reading 0. 50% water change later and just a little rodi water, and re-hooking up the air airstone line my 5 yo decided to disconnect, they're all back to normal. So my question is has anyone had problems with their alert badge after drying it out? That's the only thing I think of that would make it not work. Had it been working, I could've caught my clowns problem a lot sooner.

D0EC829D-82F1-487D-914E-09D01A305932.jpeg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was a not a good day for phantom clowns. After they graduated copper treatment, they went into sterile tank. I put an alert badge on it, dosed a whole bottle biospira and they were good to go. Added GC 2 days ago. All is well. Wrong! today I noticed my female clown breathing rapidly, sinking to bottom, being blown around by the filter current. Then I noticed the water was some what cloudy...uh oh... So I checked salinity: just a tad high. Then I checked my ammonia just to be sure: so glad I did bc ammonia was at .5, alert badge reading 0. 50% water change later and just a little rodi water, and re-hooking up the air airstone line my 5 yo decided to disconnect, they're all back to normal. So my question is has anyone had problems with their alert badge after drying it out? That's the only thing I think of that would make it not work. Had it been working, I could've caught my clowns problem a lot sooner.

Yes, they should not dry out. That’s why they come with that piece of plastic over the center. I store mine in a cup of RODI water to prevent this. If it’s going to be a while between uses I just replace it.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good thing you caught it!

OP
OP
JenniferMcK

JenniferMcK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they should not dry out. That’s why they come with that piece of plastic over the center. I store mine in a cup of RODI water to prevent this. If it’s going to be a while between uses I just replace it.
Ok thank you so much. I did not know that. Won't ever make that mistake again!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.7%
Back