Which Algae Scrubber???

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you decide to implement an algae scrubber?

This is a dated technology that requires you to purposefully harvest every type of nuisance algae (GHA, bryopsis etc) in a system that you're probably trying to eliminate algae and its glucose/organics release from.

Check out the attached Pax Bellum info sheet. Dudes are light years ahead of the game in terms of product quality and depth of knowledge in macroalgae based nit and phos reduction. Best piece of hardware I own, no question.

Attachments

• 6U1418_1.pdf
    297 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a dated technology that requires you to purposefully harvest every type of nuisance algae (GHA, bryopsis etc) in a system that you're probably trying to eliminate algae and its glucose/organics release from.

Check out the attached Pax Bellum info sheet. Dudes are light years ahead of the game in terms of product quality and depth of knowledge in macroalgae based nit and phos reduction. Best piece of hardware I own, no question.
Been there done that, didnt work for me as the algae took over the cheato and kept it from growing. Anyway yes the reason why im implementing a algae scrubber is because export nutrients and mimicking nature and that is the best way IMO.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there done that, didnt work for me as the algae took over the cheato and kept it from growing. Anyway yes the reason why im implementing a algae scrubber is because export nutrients and mimicking nature and that is the best way IMO.

So why not just run it empty and let it fill up with algae?

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG you scrubber brands haveto stop this head budding and i promise you will see alot more success.
No offence, but that is just the stupidest thing i ever heard, nobody likes when the light is all over the place, so to sell something separately that people will need regardless sounds to me and to others i have spoken to, like another tactic on how to drain the customers pockets, you might as well sell everything separately.

Actually we have a lot of customers that like the look when the light is not contained, similar to a fuge light. Those are not contained and thousands of people run them. Plus it makes our engraved logo glow.

We talked with our distributors about making the light covers included. Their consensus was that it was better as an add on. It would be an added cost for those that don’t run them.

And finally Bud and I get along great. We actually talk a couple times a week. As for the other competitions out there, they have what is coming to them.

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t you have to harvest the macro out of a Pax too?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh ..... using algae (whether turf or macro) have BOTH been around for decades. Implemented my first ATS in 1992 and my first macro refugium a year or so later (initially with caulerpa .... shudder). OK, fancy chaeto reactors may be ‘new’ but hardly revolutionary. Implemented properly, they are both effective at removing the reduced end products of organics. I’d not run either without also using GAC to combat any leeched nasties. Hardly problematic though.

Experimented a couple of years ago with a chaeto reactor - I big ol underwhelm. Give me my DIY ATS any day.

Last edited:

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An algae scrubber topic without toxicity from the branded makers is pretty uncommon [emoji6]. They like to rag on each other. There are loads of topics on this very forum, on Facebook groups, and even on live streams where they throw shade at each other. Typically the toxicity is from the SM founder, and the other makers who seem to be at odds with each other.

Maybe instead of just saying “they have what is coming to them” you should just work on your product and customer service.

This is why I’ll happily back NYOS skimmers, triton sumps, and throw up a giant fuge before I go with a scrubber from folks who try to tear each other down.

It is really quite sad because you all make a good product for various setups, but the toxicity I have witnessed from the makers puts me off. You damage what you can do and give the industry a bad name.

Y’all remind me of the toxic salespeople [emoji28].

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An algae scrubber topic without toxicity from the branded makers is pretty uncommon [emoji6]. They like to rag on each other. There are loads of topics on this very forum, on Facebook groups, and even on live streams where they throw shade at each other. Typically the toxicity is from the SM founder, and the other makers who seem to be at odds with each other.

Maybe instead of just saying “they have what is coming to them” you should just work on your product and customer service.

This is why I’ll happily back NYOS skimmers, triton sumps, and throw up a giant fuge before I go with a scrubber from folks who try to tear each other down.

It is really quite sad because you all make a good product for various setups, but the toxicity I have witnessed from the makers puts me off. You damage what you can do and give the industry a bad name.

We go above and beyond for any of our customers and continually improve our product for you... our customer. We stand behind our product, just like Bud does! We always make sure the customer is happy with their purchase.

As for the other competitors, I’m sure you don’t get to see what goes on behind the scenes. We have been threatened with patents that don’t exist and spent thousands on legal fees to prove they don’t. We have had them call our distributors questioning our lighting safety and threatening our distribution when there is zero issue with our lights. We have had them claim to test our lights while we were designing them with our manufacturer who they don’t even know or speak to!‍♂️ While you may think we are “attacking” them, we are simply stating FACTS about their product. We have kept our heads down and built the largest distribution network for ATS’ and made them affordable for the hobbyists. We always back up any of OUR claims with science and testing before recommending them to other hobbyists. There may be some things that get out of hand but it has to say something when the largest manufacturer and the people’s champ (Bud) get along great and have nothing but respect for each other and their competing products.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

couldn't have said it better, i keep on saying the same thing they need to stop killing each other and focus on listening to their customers and keep improving their products and spend time making it into a real business and market their products properly and show the hobbyists that it really works well effective, and it really does, yes its a dated meathod but with the new modern lighting its a whole new product.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That would have to be one of the most inaccurate & ill informed statements to describe an algae scrubber that I've ever read.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of making a bigger one for my system. The current one is too small.

9C16EBDE-BBBA-42BE-9A1B-124541AF42B5.jpeg

I’ve made them from glass, acrylic, even plywood; just use what I have on hand or easily acquired. Glass this time.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of making a bigger one for my system. The current one is too small.

9C16EBDE-BBBA-42BE-9A1B-124541AF42B5.jpeg

I’ve made them from glass, acrylic, even plywood; just use what I have on hand or easily acquired. Glass this time.

That looks like the old drop styles. Not a waterfall?

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean a dump style, I don't think that's what it is - take a closer look, it's an enclosed box but laying on it's back. The bulkhead by the pipe is the supply bulkhead, looks like it's made so that he can remove the screen by pulling the slot pipe/spray bar out from the bulkhead and lifting it up & out.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s a waterfall .... or will be :D. It’s glueing up so laying on its back. All my mechanicals are in the basement, so I don’t worry about light spill. The screen will be nominally 18x18, so double what I currently have.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a waterfall .... or will be :D. It’s glueing up so laying on its back. All my mechanicals are in the basement, so I don’t worry about light spill. The screen will be nominally 18x18, so double what I currently have.

What lights are you gonna use to power it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back