OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had major problems with getting any real growth on the RAIN2. AND once I took it out, I had one of the worst GHA outbreaks I've ever had.

With that being said, I think on a larger tank, or one that's fed a lot more than mine was, there's more nutrients to feed the algae in the scrubber. I mostly like the design of the RAIN2, but based on my experiences, I'd go with Turbo's scrubber (oh, and in case you're curious, I did own Turbo's Rev4, but got rid of it for the RAIN2 because I thought it would fit better in my sump........that's a decision I wish I could take back).
so where are you at right now???

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the thread I linked to for his experiences. Bald spot, streamers, noise, unsustained growth... all issues addressed by Turbo’s design. Also, if it had dimmable LEDs like the Turbo’s scrubbers, perhaps it would have been able to be tuned via light intensity for a broader range of tank sizes.
i think the lack of growth might have had to do with the fact that he was dosing NOPOX at the same time causing both competing against each other, also might be the reason for the weird spraying and clogging because NOPOX again causes this slimy bacteria that gets all over.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm running with no scrubber right now. I was having a challenge getting my nutrient levels up to a measurable level, so I tripled my feeding and added 2 more fish. Now I have them where I want them, so unless they start getting out of hand, I'll probably not have a scrubber on this system (if they start getting high, then I may add one again).

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
i think the lack of growth might have had to do with the fact that he was dosing NOPOX at the same time causing both competing against each other, also might be the reason for the weird spraying and clogging because NOPOX again causes this slimy bacteria that gets all over.

Actually I tried it both with using and without using NoPOX. Neither situation worked well. And the clogging/weird spraying wasn't related to that.....I was actually advised to file down and widen the slot the screen sits in (and water flows down)by Santa Monica to address the issue. But I'm sure they've made some revisions and refinement since then. So who knows...maybe you'll have great luck. I hope you do!

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I tried it both with using and without using NoPOX. Neither situation worked well. And the clogging/weird spraying wasn't related to that.....I was actually advised to file down and widen the slot the screen sits in (and water flows down)by Santa Monica to address the issue. But I'm sure they've made some revisions and refinement since then. So who knows...maybe you'll have great luck. I hope you do!
Could be. also take in consideration that after stopping NOPOX it takes a while for this algea eating bacteria to get out of your system.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... keep this thread updated with your progress and results with the Rain2 on your tank. Hopefully it can help others making the same decision. Good luck! :)

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... keep this thread updated with your progress and results with the Rain2 on your tank. Hopefully it can help others making the same decision. Good luck! :)
Will do, or maybe start a new thread.

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, Rev's Turbo Scrubber might be the best out in market. I got the Expression LTD turbo scrubber with their LED light bar and Rev's light blocker and it is working beautifully.

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, the other option is to make one yourself. Been making my own for 25 years; including a few dump bucket monstrosities that I wish I had photos of. I’ve exceeded the capacity of my current 12x12 unit (too many fish) so am planning bigger, maybe 24x12.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Love the 302 units but recently went to Clear Water system and WOW is all I can say

ReefNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the RAIN2 and am very happy with it. I get about 50grams of algae a week growth in my 80gallon setup. I have basically no nuisance algae in my display at all and my nitrates sit below 1ppm.

The main reason I chose it over the turbo was that plumbing design with the RAIN2 stand was super simple for my setup. I run it straight off my manifold, no extra pump needed. Also its submersible design worked really well for me (i have its base about in inch below the waterline).

Realistically i think they both can perform as good as each other, they may each have their quirks that might be unique to getting them growing successfully, especially in new tanks, but the support forums for each product and are super helpful if you have issues getting consistent thick growth.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the RAIN2 and am very happy with it. I get about 50grams of algae a week growth in my 80gallon setup. I have basically no nuisance algae in my display at all and my nitrates sit below 1ppm.

The main reason I chose it over the turbo was that plumbing design with the RAIN2 stand was super simple for my setup. I run it straight off my manifold, no extra pump needed. Also its submersible design worked really well for me (i have its base about in inch below the waterline).

Realistically i think they both can perform as good as each other, they may each have their quirks that might be unique to getting them growing successfully, especially in new tanks, but the support forums for each product and are super helpful if you have issues getting consistent thick growth.
cool do you have any pictures of your harvest?

roman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4D28BEED-1BC8-4774-99AA-803680B16757.jpeg
440A2152-9AAC-4918-90BF-BF1AC9C8C82C.jpeg
5D898799-25D2-4ED0-94A4-880398F87F71.jpeg
BF3DBE9F-5775-4D27-A0B1-221894186983.jpeg
9C87C6C8-E1D0-4CD2-84ED-4FA0DA2FC4D8.jpeg
Although I have not used the others but I have seen the others in operation on other peoples tanks in person and I have yet to see one that compares to Bud’s turbo scrubbers. I have had every incarnation of his scrubbers since he first started making these scrubbers . I have the privilege of personally knowing him through our reef club in Iowa. His latest designs have caught notice to a couple of big builders in this business to the likes of synergy reef and geo . They have the ability to accommodate your sump to support his scrubber. He still hand builds these scrubbers at his home I believe but you could not tell. All of his parts and pieces are built exclusively for his scrubbers. From the heat sinks and led boards that he designed to the growing chamber that is abs plastic that can be completely removed from sump to clean out without having to remove lights and plumbing ability to slide lights to look at growth chamber and no annoying light bleed, etc. If you are looking for a quality piece of equipment there is no need to look any further. I realize you were asking about two different ones but I believe this is actually the best one out there. It takes a while to get them , but like I said he hand builds these and he will support his scrubbers even if you didn’t buy it from him, but on the used market if you can find one. Just open up a support ticket on his website and he will keep you updated on any new updates or if you are needing assistance with getting it started .

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is bud’s lead time for the units still out there? That was really the only issue with them in the past aside from the higher price

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting because the both pretty much look the same to me except that the Clear Water has crazy light bleed.

That’s why we have the light covers as an optional purchase for ours. We don’t try to hide anything with cheap colored duct tape.

You can ask Bud at Turbo’s about our lights. They are probably the best on the market right now. We have screens showing growth in 3 days from start up.

roman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how much lead time Bud has but he was doing a promotion for GIRS members earlier this month .

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why we have the light covers as an optional purchase for ours. We don’t try to hide anything with cheap colored duct tape.

You can ask Bud at Turbo’s about our lights. They are probably the best on the market right now. We have screens showing growth in 3 days from start up.

OMG you scrubber brands haveto stop this head budding and i promise you will see alot more success.
No offence, but that is just the stupidest thing i ever heard, nobody likes when the light is all over the place, so to sell something separately that people will need regardless sounds to me and to others i have spoken to, like another tactic on how to drain the customers pockets, you might as well sell everything separately.

OP
OP
R

Reeftang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway i ended up going with the santa monica RAIN 2, finally installed it and honestly all i haveto say is WOW what a great design, i couldn't be happier because i do not have lots of space and this unit is just soooo compact and waterproof that it fits right into the sump.

20181220_213821.jpg

20181220_213619.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back