OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure it matters which amino acids are dosed. They are all a good source of N.

IMO, it is possible that aspartic acid may be better than the others, for reasons I outlined twenty years ago:

"Interestingly, the apparently large need for a particular amino acid (aspartic acid) to synthesize these proteins is satisfied by external sources, not by either the coral itself or the zooxanthellae. For this reason, it might be interesting to see what added aspartic acid does to calcification rates in reef tanks."
Super long read and will have to sit down and read and re-read most of it before my brain can understand it. Thank you for the input!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super long read and will have to sit down and read and re-read most of it before my brain can understand it. Thank you for the input!

It's not mostly about amino acids, so if that is the main interest, I'd keep that article on the back burner. :)

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had great success with very moderately dosing (25% of what's suggested) both FUEL and Acropower. I dose Acropower Mon,Wed,Fri and FUEL Tues,Thu, nothing on Sunday.

The FUEL does wonders for my Zoas and LPS but did little for my Acro's (I used it exclusively for about 6 months )

When I was only dosing Acropower I noticed amazing (FAST) results with my Acro's but not so much for my zoas. so.....

After playing with several dosing routines, my best results for SPS and LPS appeared to be when dosing both FUEL AND Acropower so I've stuck with it for roughly a year and never looked back. Just my experience

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not mostly about amino acids, so if that is the main interest, I'd keep that article on the back burner. :)
Yes, You explain on various parts of how calcification occurs and the process’s which occur in skeleton building are interesting. I’m just a layman and have to decipher most of it.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I meant to add, I believe iodine to be a key factor with regards to dosing FUEL and my Zoas growth/health , Acropower contains much less iodine.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back