Which equipment do I choose

ChristinaV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a hard time trying to figure out which equipment do I go with to upgrade from a 65 to a 110 . I am leaning to a predrilled, but I have never had a refugium and I don’t know what size to go with . If anyone has suggestions please help. Thanks

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the larger refugium that you can fit. There’s no real rule of thumb. Just more water volume is better and a bigger fuge means more room for equipment and upgrades later.

D_dot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the fuge....as big as possible.... with a quality light like a kessil fuge light.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a hard time trying to figure out which equipment do I go with to upgrade from a 65 to a 110 . I am leaning to a predrilled, but I have never had a refugium and I don’t know what size to go with . If anyone has suggestions please help. Thanks
By the sounds of your post, it seems like you are correlating pre-drilled with a refugium? The two do not necessarily correlate. Fuge really depends on your sump situation or if you want to add an external/hang on. Pre-drilled just gives you the option to plumb the tank the way you want to.

You will more than likely need to upgrade your skimmer, return pump, and heater. Unless you went overkill on your 65g.

OP
OP
ChristinaV

ChristinaV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the sounds of your post, it seems like you are correlating pre-drilled with a refugium? The two do not necessarily correlate. Fuge really depends on your sump situation or if you want to add an external/hang on. Pre-drilled just gives you the option to plumb the tank the way you want to.

You will more than likely need to upgrade your skimmer, return pump, and heater. Unless you went overkill on your 65g.
Thanks for responding, I went and looked at a 12o pre drilled tank today and I am going to go that way. I don't want anything hanging on the back so I know I need a refugium but when I asked 2 different people at the store one said 20g and another said 50 so now my head is spinning. I would like to get the most bang for my buck so do you have any suggestions on which products to look at. I feel sometimes the stores push the most expensive stuff on you when their are products that are less expensive and work just as good.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding, I went and looked at a 12o pre drilled tank today and I am going to go that way. I don't want anything hanging on the back so I know I need a refugium but when I asked 2 different people at the store one said 20g and another said 50 so now my head is spinning. I would like to get the most bang for my buck so do you have any suggestions on which products to look at. I feel sometimes the stores push the most expensive stuff on you when their are products that are less expensive and work just as good.
If they are recommending a 20 to 50 gallon refugium, that's probably more than what you will need. For that size tank that's probably what you will need for the overall sump size. My 108 gallon display has a 32 gallon sump. You could partition off part of the sump as your refugium or find a way to link one into your system. I have a Red Sea setup so I will be more than likely using the stock ATO reservoir as the refugium as I did my own ATO setup on the tank and do not need the stock one.

OP
OP
ChristinaV

ChristinaV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are recommending a 20 to 50 gallon refugium, that's probably more than what you will need. For that size tank that's probably what you will need for the overall sump size. My 108 gallon display has a 32 gallon sump. You could partition off part of the sump as your refugium or find a way to link one into your system. I have a Red Sea setup so I will be more than likely using the stock ATO reservoir as the refugium as I did my own ATO setup on the tank and do not need the stock one.
Hi they recomended a 20gal refugium but my question is when I looked on line they have kits to make a 3 part refugium which is a lot cheaper than buying one. Do you know how well these kits work? My other concern is has yours ever overflowed if you have lost power? Is this preventable? Sorry for so many questions I have always used a canister and a skimmer. Thanks Christina

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi they recomended a 20gal refugium but my question is when I looked on line they have kits to make a 3 part refugium which is a lot cheaper than buying one. Do you know how well these kits work? My other concern is has yours ever overflowed if you have lost power? Is this preventable? Sorry for so many questions I have always used a canister and a skimmer. Thanks Christina
I have never had one before and have never used a kit. Mine will either be part of my sump (partitioned off space) or will be over my sump, draining back into the sump, so I won't have to worry about overflow, short of the return back to the sump getting clogged.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back