Which External overflow box to use?

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about drilling my tank to add an external overflow box. I’ve seen allot of bad reviews online. Which product have you had success with? Or failure. Please let me know so I can figure out how to move forward.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modular Marine seems to be very popular and I do not remember a negative review about the product.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check it out. I really like the custom aquariums stealth box. Any feedback on this one?

I have one. I do not like the screen they use, it clogs easily and thus raises the tank water level. I removed it so Its just a pipe sticking into tank. Doesnt look too bad.

I will be getting another custom aquariums tank in the future because they are awesome tanks, but I will not be using their overflows anymore.

OP
OP
Staghorn

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. I do not like the screen they use, it clogs easily and thus raises the tank water level. I removed it so Its just a pipe sticking into tank. Doesnt look too bad.

I will be getting another custom aquariums tank in the future because they are awesome tanks, but I will not be using their overflows anymore.
Good to know.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using the modular marine overflow box?
I have the 36" MM on my big tank ..... works really well. Only issue is availability. Using the eschops (sp?) M on my QT tank. Would not recommend it on a display. Although I have not personally used one, the fiji cube lopro overflows look good.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Eclipse, Fiji Cube, and EMS overflows. Of the 3, I highly recommend the EMS (Exotic Marine Systems) overflow. It is the easiest to tune, quietest, and best made, IMO. Only issue, is having to wait a bit, since they are built on a much smaller scale.

I would NOT recommend the Eclipse. They work, but are by far the loudest of them. The external box is too low, making it nearly impossible to get it silent unless using EXTREMELY low flow. The Fiji Cube does not have this problem as the external box sits much higher.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Eclipse, Fiji Cube, and EMS overflows. Of the 3, I highly recommend the EMS (Exotic Marine Systems) overflow. It is the easiest to tune, quietest, and best made, IMO. Only issue, is having to wait a bit, since they are built on a much smaller scale.

I would NOT recommend the Eclipse. They work, but are by far the loudest of them. The external box is too low, making it nearly impossible to get it silent unless using EXTREMELY low flow. The Fiji Cube does not have this problem as the external box sits much higher.

Nearly is the key word. Takes some work but mine is dead silent.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly is the key word. Takes some work but mine is dead silent.
But, if there are other options that are easier to tune, silent (without difficulty), and roughly the same cost, why get one that is "nearly" impossible to get quiet? IMO, I would save myself the trouble and get one that just works! :)

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own glass overflow on my 220G. It's been working flawless for 3 years. I would do it again, with a slightly smaller box on the outside.

IMG_20171119_163124.jpg

IMG_20171119_163107.jpg

1615909970936.png

IMG_20180510_235528.jpg

IMG_20180510_234006.jpg

PXL_20210301_145623577.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider is that as external overflow set ups have evolved over the last few years... some designs are undoubtedly better than others.

Something to look for is a setup where the external box is not set lower than the internal weir box. This gives you more flexibility on the higher end of flow rates while running silently. With the lower external box, you will get a loud waterfall noise because of the lower external box height and be forced to reduce your flow rate to quiet the splashing waterfall noise.

Modular Marine and Exotic Marine Systems have their external and internal boxes set at the same height. Of the mass produced models, Fiji Cube‘s external box is slightly lower, but not drastically lower like the Eshopps and Synergy designs.

Exotic Marine Systems has a horizontal slit running the length of their skim box whigh provides for superior surface skimming. Though with this design feature, I have read reports where small fish and inverts have been sucked through the weir.

If you’re running a rimmed tank, just know that the Eshopps Eclipse set ups have very deep cut weir teeth. Because of this, the waterline will not be hidden beneath the trim of the tank.

I‘m a Modular Marine guy and run the 12” 1200gph box in my 57 gallon rimless tank. Notice the external box height is even with the internal skim box. Another nice touch that MM offers is the fully detachable internal weir box for ease of cleaning.

00B935FB-E32E-4E29-B797-ABB82499C6D9.jpeg

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back