Which fish for a Red Sea reefer 200xl?

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

I'd like some inspiration. I am about to transfer my Peninsula Cube 25 into a RS Reefer 200 this weekend. It's a mixed reef with some SPS and LPS. I already have two small clowns and one six line wrasse who get along fine since about 8 months or so.

Which fish would you add to a RS200xl?

I was thinking about a biclolor blenny and a filefish, against algae and aiptasia. Both fish I also think are quite cool to look at. In my old tank I had very very low nutrients, so a few more fish would be nice. The only requirement is that they need to be able to be fed dry feed only. I don't have anyone looking after my tank when I'm on holidays.

So what would you put in the tank?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no guarantee that a matted filefish will go for the odd aiptasia polyp and leave that pricey acropora colony alone. They're also not the most attractive aquarium fish; most other filefish species are much more colourful and personable. A pygmy whitespotted filefish won't touch your aiptasia, but is probably a better fit for a most people.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

I'd like some inspiration. I am about to transfer my Peninsula Cube 25 into a RS Reefer 200 this weekend. It's a mixed reef with some SPS and LPS. I already have two small clowns and one six line wrasse who get along fine since about 8 months or so.

I was thinking about a biclolor blenny and a filefish, against algae and aiptasia. Both fish I also think are quite cool to look at. In my old tank I had very very low nutrients, so a few more fish would be nice. The only requirement is that they need to be able to be fed dry feed only. I don't have anyone looking after my tank when I'm on holidays.

In my 250 I have 2 clowns, a blue cheek goby, a small blue tang, an Eibli angel and a firefish. All are thriving.

OP
OP
Mangimi

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know that matted file fish will go for Acropora, good point. I'll get a peppermint shrimp instead. I don't think 55g/200l total volume is large enough for a tang. Any other ideas?

MauritsB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

I have the 200 XL with a pair of clowns, a pair of cardinals, a small scopas tang (which is a slow grower and I plan to eventually upgrade my aquarium again), and a Randall gobi. The only problem would be that the gobi and cardinals don't eat dry food but if your scape is not too full a scopas should be okay! Just make sure to feed some extra nori every other day

OP
OP
Mangimi

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made a somewhat spontaneous purchase on the weekend. We have a small shop here that once every other months has some interesting fish. The next shop is 6-7 hours away by car. So that's why I felt like a quick google search was enough. I bought a fire goby, which is normally a very peaceful fish and a dwarf African pygmy angel. Now the first hint on google said they were reef safe, but then I read that they might go on polyps after arriving home. Thus far the angel hasn't touched anything yet and I hope it stays this way. I can just cross fingers at this point. Both fish are insanely beautiful and add so much movement to the tank which is really enjoyable. I've had no issues with the six line wrasse. If anything the angel is making sure the wrasse stays away. All fish go on dry feed which is nice.

So what I also really want is a sand sifting goby. I was thinking about an Amblygobius phalaena, as they seem to be of the smaller sort. That would make 6 fish in the tank. Additionally I want a Mithrax crab and a peppermint shrimp for keeping the reef clear of bubble algae and aiptasia (I got some on some zoo frags and I won't be able to clean the frags 100%).

Do you think a group of three pajama cardinals would be too much? I think I'd want a bit more action, but I'm also aware the fish are eventually going to be annoyed by each other.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back