Round fish for a IM 15g Nuvo

benthicBarbarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I’m currently freshwater guy looking into dipping my toes in the world of saltwater! For my first tank I wanted to set up an Innovative Marine 15 Nuvo AIO tank, thinking about just doing macro algae and hearty soft corals. I’m in the very early stages of researching and I’m currently looking into fish!

I’ve always fallen in love with tangs, angelfish, and butterflyfish. I would love to have my own but I’m aware these species need lots of space and dedication. The AIO I’ve chosen is obviously wayyy too small but it’s the biggest I for my budget. Even if I did get a juvenile of these species, it still feels so wrong to put one in a tank that small :(

I was wondering if there was a nano species that was small, mid swimming, had the general deep/round body shape of a tang or a butterfly fish, and could fit in this tank forever?

i apologize if this is a stupid question, I just really like these fish. I know cherubs and flame-backs are out of the question due to them being active. I also thought of cardinals At one point but learned while they do hover in place, they are nocturnal and can zip around a tank fast. Damsels are cool but not what I’m looking for and the citron/green gobies are bottom dwellers which is also something I’m not looking for. Possum wrasse are cute but super expensive and hard to keep from what I’ve heard.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo snails.
IMG_0691.jpeg

Upvote 0

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have done your research. My 15g definitely does not have any activity in it. I have a firefish and tailspot blenny, and they never swim around much.

And yes, you definitely don't want to put a juvenile tang or butterfly into the tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

benthicBarbarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have done your research. My 15g definitely does not have any activity in it. I have a firefish and tailspot blenny, and they never swim around much.

And yes, you definitely don't want to put a juvenile tang or butterfly into the tank.
Thank you for responding! I just really want something that looks like a tang or butterfly that comfortably fit in my tank. I was just wondering if there was a mystery fish I haven’t heard about that fits my specifications.

Your tank looks really pretty btw!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

benthicBarbarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a springeri damsel, tailspot blenny and a possum wrasse in my im15. The wrasse hides the most.

The damsel is aways out.
Oooooo the springeri damsel looks gorgeous! Like a swimming sapphire! Even though I said no damsels, I’m gonna keep your suggestion in the back of my mind.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooo the springeri damsel looks gorgeous! Like a swimming sapphire! Even though I said no damsels, I’m gonna keep your suggestion in the back of my mind.

Thanks!
They are pretty chill compared to other damsel species. I have 6 in my 90. Everyone else picks in them. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

And one in my wb20 and my clown tries to kill him daily. :astonished-face:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

benthicBarbarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some digging and found out about the white spotted Pygmy filefish (Rudarius ercodes).

They grow to about two inches and, being a file fish, just hover and drift! What do y’all think?

Attachments

• IMG_3234.jpeg
    IMG_3234.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back