would these fish harm other shrimp species?

glebblegleb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a 40 gallon tank at the moment, and for a while i’ve been planning to get sexy shrimp which prevents me from getting some other fish species i like, the longnose hawkfish, six lime wrasse, and a jawfish, would these fish go after, Cleaner shrimp, Maybe a fire shrimp, Anemone shrimp, yellow lined shrimp, and a saron shrimp? i’m willing to not get the sexy shrimp if the other shrimp species would remain unharmed.

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hawkfish will most likely target smaller shrimp. Full sized cleaner shrimp I’m not sure of, but they’ll definitely gobble up the sexy shrimp

OP
OP
G

glebblegleb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hawkfish will most likely target smaller shrimp. Full sized cleaner shrimp I’m not sure of, but they’ll definitely gobble up the sexy shrimp
i believe the saron shrimp would be the smallest of the shrimp, not sure if they’d be fine

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have problems between the Six line and the Hawlkfish. Sometimes they dont mix well. They have both been known to eat shrimp.

OP
OP
G

glebblegleb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have problems between the Six line and the Hawlkfish. Sometimes they dont mix well. They have both been known to eat shrimp.
i guess i’d rather do the hawkfish, i’ve heard people say they have had hawkfish without problems in tanks with shrimps

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know, i’m willing to not get them if the other shrimp species would be fine with the hawkfish and jawfish
To be clear, the other shrimp aren't always fine either. It's at best 50/50. Hawkfish naturally eat shrimp in the wild. It's a primary part of their diet. I'd be surprised if the saron shrimp or yellow lined shrimp didn't get munched on, and the 50/50 is really for larger fire and cleaner shrimp.

It's a risk. I realize I'm not telling you what you want to hear, but hawkfish are a real gamble with shrimp. You might have success, but if you add a hawkfish be mentally prepared for it to kill your shrimp as it's a very real possibility.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldnt put any shrimp with a hawkfish. Ive got a longnose. One of my friends at the LFS told me he was surrendered because he kept eating all their cleaner shrimp. He loves shrimp, Ill feed the tank a table shrimp once a week for the fish who like it and he rips into it, even with his tiny little nose!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back