Which inverts should i get for a clean up crew?

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are! and there are many, many unique animals within "only" those groups. Once you get your first coral or two, Is when I would recommend getting inverts beyond the hardy "basic" CUC snails and/or hermits. But if you want, you could probably get away with a cleaner shrimp now, but IMO its better to wait a little longer. All inverts are sensitive so salinity, to be mindful to keep that stable.
What other animals fall in that category? Tuxedo urchin is on my radar but like you said, I don't plan on getting one any time soon

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite topics. My tank is similarly sized to yours. I have found that things need to be quite stable for delicate inverts, shrimp especially. Ive also found that (2) emeralds will likely end up being (1) emerald but thats just my experience. The balance for me has been (1) emerald (1) Cleaner shrimp (1) Blood shrimp (1) Short spine urchin, many hermits of variety, many many cerith and trochus snails. One thing that definitely helps keep them long term is having a lot of copepods/amphipods in my opinion. That was the game changer for me. A jar of pods and then regular phyto feeding and inverts/everything seemed much healthier and capable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back