Which is more important Good Water Circulation or an ATO?

Lonet0618

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a cheap Top Fin powerhead from Petco in my main display to help with water circulation. It works fine, but I feel it doesn't move enough water in the main display. So I wanted to replace it with the Octo Pulse 2 Wave Pump which is a much stronger pump.

However, I also want/need a ATO the Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off to be exact. So my question is which one should I get first? And, which one is more important?

They both are pretty pricey for me so the one I don't get won't be purchased for at least another month or two?

Below is a picture for reference:
Screenshot_20190228-201121_Gallery.jpg

2 Videos of my display:
https://www.youtube.com/user/lonet0618

View attachment 20190219_140416.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing any corals, so flow isn't that important. When you start putting in corals you want sufficient flow to provide thin "boundary layer" so that the corals can easily transport nutrients in and out of these corals. So if you have no corals, go for the ATO, if you have corals, go for more powerheads.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I do in the morning is fill a gallon and add two pumps of alkalinity and calcium to top of my 40b’s. Not a big deal and part of my morning routine. So I’d spend my limited funds on more flow.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ATO would be a new feature and a wave pump would be upgrading a feature you already have. My vote goes for ATO. I've been doing manual top offs a couple of months and it is getting old already. Still have never missed a top off (twice a day) but I will be glad when I get my ATO going.

805nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on ATO, especially on smaller tanks where forgetting to top off a day can lead to salinity changes, you wouldn't believe what a stress reliever it is until you no longer have to worry about leaving your tank for a few days, and unless you're set on those pumps you can always find deals in the classifieds on powerheads

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral reefs are frequently subject to variations in seawater salinity. Strong flow=more calcification and most of our tanks don't even get close to the currents you find on a reef.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll need both eventually, but the ATO gets my vote as well.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dive in a get a good ATO. Since you dont have corals in yet, strive to achieve stability of salinity and the rest of your parameters. You can always add more flow later. With such a small volume tank, the flux in salinity in your tank because of evaporation is something I would address as soon as you can.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dive in a get a good ATO. .

I'm in the process of looking at ATOs, and knowing nothing about them..... can you tell me (at various price points) what is a "Good" one, and what features I really need?

I'm an old luddite..... so stuff I can sync on my phone etc. isn't necessary......

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20190305-152824_Chrome.jpg
My spectrapure ato has gone 5 years without one problem. Uses air pressure to turn on/off, no floats or sensors to go bad and flood you. When you get lazy, the pump will run dry without burning up until you fill the reservoir. When I go on vacation, I fill a 15 gallon tub and don't worry. It is worth the extra $60.

Last edited:

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of looking at ATOs, and knowing nothing about them..... can you tell me (at various price points) what is a "Good" one, and what features I really need?

I'm an old luddite..... so stuff I can sync on my phone etc. isn't necessary......

For my money.... I would look at the Tunze line of ATOs for the size of your tank. BRS has one for less than $100. Depending on what you want to do.... whether you have a sump or not.... you may have some other options. I have an older Tunze ATO for my large system. I like the fact that it has two means of control.... mechanical via a float switch and optical. Nice redundancy. Not sure if a smaller ATO has similar features.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about the auto aqua smart ato micro, (given the size of your tank) AND an IM wavelink. both should be about the price of the osmolator you mentioned and both are excellent products

Soakem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the tunze 3152 that’s $100 cheaper and put that money you saved towards a new pump.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would spend the money on the Spectrapure ATO. It's got a lot going for it. It's got a rock solid peristaltic pump, so no in-tank wetted pump. Double pressure sensors, no mechanical float sensor. It's crazy flexible as far as where you can draw water from, and send water to dispense.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back