Which LEDs for 60" Aquatic Life hybrid?

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 72 x 30 x 25 high peninsula tank that will eventually have SPS. Just bought an Aquatic Life hybrid 60" with 24" spreader bracket.

What LEDs would make the most sense and how many? I really like the shimmer, so I'm thinking Kessils, but what is the difference between the A360X and the A360WE besides $100 and controllability? I don't feel like I'd need to fine tune the spectrum.

So should I get 3 x A360WE? Can I get away with just two? There is an internal overflow, coast to coast on the left side of the tank, so it's really more like 65" long and there will be a deep sand bed, so more like 21" tall.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aquatic life hybrid with kessil 360we’s on my 6’ 180 gallon tank. I really like my unit. I’m not sure I could ever give up the kessil shimmer. I think to answer your question you will need to consider what type of corals you are growing and the height you are mounting. I personally don’t think the x’s extra cost are justified although others will disagree. I believe you will need at least 3 kessils to light your tank. I use 6 of them, but that is mostly due to the tank’s bracing and low mounting height in my canopy. You can always start with a couple and add more later. In fact, the T5’s alone will grow many corals. Good luck.

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the aquatic life hybrid with kessil 360we’s on my 6’ 180 gallon tank. I really like my unit. I’m not sure I could ever give up the kessil shimmer. I think to answer your question you will need to consider what type of corals you are growing and the height you are mounting. I personally don’t think the x’s extra cost are justified although others will disagree. I believe you will need at least 3 kessils to light your tank. I use 6 of them, but that is mostly due to the tank’s bracing and low mounting height in my canopy. You can always start with a couple and add more later. In fact, the T5’s alone will grow many corals. Good luck.

6 Kessils in a hybrid fixture??? That sounds like overkill, like one LED every foot plus the T5s. What kind of PAR readings do you get? is the tank deep?

You are right about getting a couple lights and deciding later if I need more, but the thing is you have to decide at the beginning if you want the X or the WE (or NE) models because once you mix the X with A-series, you can't have one controller for all of them, right?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not uncommon to have 1 kessil per foot for an sps tank. Again, my lights are low in my canopy so I don’t get a lot of spread. I run mine at 55% output max. I get about 350 max par where most of my corals are.

I believe you are right that the x controller is different than the WE. So you do have to decide. I don’t believe the cost of x over we is justified based on the research I have done. I don’t plan to upgrade as I believe mine will last a long time running at a lower output. Several of mine have been running since 2013 ish.

I believe @Jason mack is very happy with his 360x’s. Maybe he’s around to chime in. I’ll throw in an iPod pic from my chair.
image.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 96 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back