which macro lens?

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a Nikon D3300 camera and I would like to buy a macro lens. I was researching different lenses and I just wanted some input from some one who might have one of the two lenses I am debating on.. I have narrowed it down to either the Nikon Nikkor AF 60mm f/2.8D or the Nikon Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/3.5 G ED VR...
I am by no means an avid photographer, nor is it a hobby of mine. I would just like to take macro pictures of my salty friends... Some of the reviews said the 60mm should be fine, since most macro shots are done with manual focus...
Is worth me spending the extra couple of hundred bucks for what I want to do or will the 60mm suffice?
Thanks for any advice!

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the Nikkor 60mm and the 105mm. Just finished reading up on the 85mm you mentioned. I'll explain how I use them, and maybe it will give you some ideas on what might work best for you.

The 60mm is a versatile lens and probably the most I use. It produces incredible images, has great depth of field, but does not have the magnification the others will have. To give you a frame of reference in simple terms, the 60mm will capture an area 3"x2" at closest focus. While the 105mm will capture an area 1"x0.7". Reading up on the 85mm I imagine it will be about halfway in between. The closer you get, the less depth of field the lens provides and the focal length become very sensitive (and more difficult to capture that ultra sharp image).

I use the 60mm for fish, and other subjects that move around quickly. I tend to use my 105mm for more stationary subjects, and when I am looking for ultra close up image.
Here's 2 examples: 1st is 60mm, 2nd is 105mm
28407835fd9717d10c7e7606ed5ab193.jpg

4486384e6e576744904a6f338f8cdac6.jpg

With all that said, the 85mm looks to have some of the most recent technology that sounds appealing to me. Image stabilization is would be great! My final thoughts...you get what you pay for. The more you pay for your glass the better it will be. But you don't need to spend tons of money to capture that magnificent image. The more advanced lens just make it easier. Some of my all time favorite images where from a cheap point and shoot. Hope that helps a little. Good luck!

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a quick follow up...the 105mm photo of my mandarin. You might notice that the sharp focus is NOT where I wanted it. Ideally the focus would have been on the eye, NOT to the right lol . I shot 40 frames trying to get the focus right (and ultimately gave up, I'll try another day), but like I said, the the the more magnification, the more difficult it is to shoot. The photo I took with the 60mm, was fairly easy. Only took about 5 frames to get that one.

tristanfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the Nikkor 60mm and the 105mm. Just finished reading up on the 85mm you mentioned. I'll explain how I use them, and maybe it will give you some ideas on what might work best for you.

The 60mm is a versatile lens and probably the most I use. It produces incredible images, has great depth of field, but does not have the magnification the others will have. To give you a frame of reference in simple terms, the 60mm will capture an area 3"x2" at closest focus. While the 105mm will capture an area 1"x0.7". Reading up on the 85mm I imagine it will be about halfway in between. The closer you get, the less depth of field the lens provides and the focal length become very sensitive (and more difficult to capture that ultra sharp image).

I use the 60mm for fish, and other subjects that move around quickly. I tend to use my 105mm for more stationary subjects, and when I am looking for ultra close up image.
Here's 2 examples: 1st is 60mm, 2nd is 105mm
28407835fd9717d10c7e7606ed5ab193.jpg

4486384e6e576744904a6f338f8cdac6.jpg

With all that said, the 85mm looks to have some of the most recent technology that sounds appealing to me. Image stabilization is would be great! My final thoughts...you get what you pay for. The more you pay for your glass the better it will be. But you don't need to spend tons of money to capture that magnificent image. The more advanced lens just make it easier. Some of my all time favorite images where from a cheap point and shoot. Hope that helps a little. Good luck!

Perfect way to explain. Great job

OP
OP
JAWS 32

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx rjl45 for the awesome explanation! Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! (and yikes! 40 frames! God bless digital images) I could only hope to take such beautiful shots! You never know what the future will hold, so it might be worth it to spend the extra cash for the 85mm.. Thanks again!! Hopefully I will be able to post some awesome pics!

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the compliments. And 40 frames isn't that many haha, sometimes I'll shoot hundreds to get that "perfect" photo ; ) trust me, photography is very similar to reef keeping, patience is key, but incredibly rewarding. Also, it has the same adictive properties...can't just buy one lol so don't worry too much about making the "right or wrong" decision, you will probably end up buying both in the long run : ) have fun!

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just for fun...i mentioned the 60mm being versatile...here's a photo I took with the 60mm while diving a few years back. Just because you have a macro lens doesn't mean you only can shoot the small stuff [emoji6]
05f485adefe1133c844e9c26f9410ec8.jpg

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I hope it gives you some ideas on what the lens can do. I'm sure you'll have tons of fun. Please post some of your photos after you get your lens. Cheers!

OP
OP
JAWS 32

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your examples and advice! I will definitely post some pics, although I highly doubt they will be like yours! The 60mm does take great shots!

OP
OP
JAWS 32

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rjl45,
I went with the Nikkor micro 85mm.. I am learning how to use the camera with the different lenses, but here is my first pic with the lens of Bowser, my flame hawkfish, who I had for 6 years...

rjl45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Nikkor micro 85mm..

Great photo! The deep red on that fish is awesome! You are in store for a lot of fun! Macro photography is so exciting... All the colors and textures will amaze you!

Thank you for sharing!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back