Honest Constructive Criticism

personwafish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Everyone, Just looking for some constructive criticism on some of my coral photographs, I am currently shooting on a Nikon D3200, with a kit lense and macro rings!

75971CB2-7FC9-47FD-A77C-F54F8B95A014.jpeg 2FDF1B9C-D7EB-4140-8419-24D7B4A9BA17.jpeg FE43E46A-1EA4-4AE4-ABA5-84B4C1E71B49.jpeg 634D3B46-2DCB-4D8D-B61B-6DC97B6651D3.jpeg FE4F6460-565D-4DD8-9083-A418DA5D2611.jpeg 72A833CB-451C-4B43-BC99-E2E5866CE845.jpeg 18712943-1F80-4B73-94AC-0CF49FE7140A.jpeg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technique wize I think you nailed the shots. The chalice and the Acans are showing signs of motion (most probably camera shake as you are shooting top down and most probably without a tripod. I would try to support my hand against the tank glass or on anything above the tank... for more stability.
focusing and sharpness seem great, a bit of a nit pick on the blue in the background of your shot which could have been corrected a bit in post processing.
My main critique is composition and lack of creativity in the angles you took the shots from, they do work to show nice pics of frags but you could play with angles (maybe put the frag on angle if you are limited in camera angle.... shooting the corals from a different angle might allow you some interesting perspectives and maybe making the coral look as if its a colony and not a tiny coral on a plug. your target might be to show the size of the frag and I could be way off in my critique but just talking photographically.
the central position of your subject doesn't help as it becomes a bit boring to see the subject in the same location in any of your shot I would experiment with taking your subject a bit off center (rule of thirds) . maybe including an active element would add dynamics and life to your shot like a fish nipping at alga on a frag, or a fish swimming in the background....
Still these are shots of good quality that would make anyone happy.

BTW what do you mean by macro rings ? extension tubes???

OP
OP
personwafish

personwafish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technique wize I think you nailed the shots. The chalice and the Acans are showing signs of motion (most probably camera shake as you are shooting top down and most probably without a tripod. I would try to support my hand against the tank glass or on anything above the tank... for more stability.
focusing and sharpness seem great, a bit of a nit pick on the blue in the background of your shot which could have been corrected a bit in post processing.
My main critique is composition and lack of creativity in the angles you took the shots from, they do work to show nice pics of frags but you could play with angles (maybe put the frag on angle if you are limited in camera angle.... shooting the corals from a different angle might allow you some interesting perspectives and maybe making the coral look as if its a colony and not a tiny coral on a plug. your target might be to show the size of the frag and I could be way off in my critique but just talking photographically.
the central position of your subject doesn't help as it becomes a bit boring to see the subject in the same location in any of your shot I would experiment with taking your subject a bit off center (rule of thirds) . maybe including an active element would add dynamics and life to your shot like a fish nipping at alga on a frag, or a fish swimming in the background....
Still these are shots of good quality that would make anyone happy.

BTW what do you mean by macro rings ? extension tubes???
They are macro extension rings yes! Composition is valid thought maybe ill try something a little different, These photos are for a store, so accuracy is appreciated. Thanks for the input i’ll take that in mind! would fixing background blue be best by selecting everything but subject, and fixing just those areas independently?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are macro extension rings yes! Composition is valid thought maybe ill try something a little different, These photos are for a store, so accuracy is appreciated. Thanks for the input i’ll take that in mind! would fixing background blue be best by selecting everything but subject, and fixing just those areas independently?
If photos are for a store website maybe the center location and showing the size of the frag are more valid.
For wb correction are u shooting raw or jpeg ? Raw would give you a bit more room to correct. Try correcting the whole picture and see the effect on the coral, if it messes up coral colors then yes selective correction is best.

OP
OP
personwafish

personwafish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If photos are for a store website maybe the center location and showing the size of the frag are more valid.
For wb correction are u shooting raw or jpeg ? Raw would give you a bit more room to correct. Try correcting the whole picture and see the effect on the coral, if it messes up coral colors then yes selective correction is best.
I shoot Raw and then tweak to usually 6-10k usually pulls all the blues from the coral but not the background it seems

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe selecting the background and correcting it qline would do or just placing the frag on black eggcrate song don't get different shades of blue in the less exposed background as u are getting now. Not a huge deal anyway as coral colors are well captured anyway.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back