Which Metal Halide Fixture?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ClearRain
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ClearRain

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2015
Messages
306
Reaction score
258
Location
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a dilemma on which HQI fixture to choose for my new 54 corner. My first choice was the Hamilton Caymen Sun double ended 250w w/ LEDs but then I came across the Hamilton Bimini Sun double ended 250w. Which would you choose for a 54 corner? Thanks for any input!
 
Hamilton Caymen Sun
Both are great fixtures and I will take nothing away from either of them, but for me the Cayman Sun has a better reflector than the Bimini Sun. The overall spread and penetration lends itself better to the Cayman Sun producing, depending on choice of bulb, better results. Ultimately, a PAR meter would need to be used to provide you with best mounthight and PAR values at sandbed heights that you are looking for.
 
Thanks for the input 143MPCo. BRS did a great video on halides in their 52 weeks of reefing series, which is actually how I found the Bimini..

I think I'm going to use the Phoneix 14000k on whichever I choose, plus supplement with 2 ATI Blue+.
 
Last edited:
Just curious, is there a reason why you wouldn't go with a Giesemann Fixture?
 
My first vote would be for the Giesemann Spectra. Second suggestion would be the ReefBrite Hybrid Pendant. I have no personal experience with the Spectra, but have heard nothing but good things. There's a reason the Giesemann brand is regarded as one of the nicest lighting brands on the market. I have used the reefbrite pendant on a 25 gallon cube and like it a lot. I would certainly use on again. The only issue with the reefbrite is that it is not the most visually appealing fixture, which is why I voted for the Spectra first. Not only does it have a reputation for being an outstanding fixture, but it also looks the part.
 
I'd go with the reefbrite hybrid pendant then. I'm going to suggest the Odyssey fixture as well (although I'm sure I'll get crucified). They can be decent economical fixtures as long as you change out the stock ballasts for quality ballasts. When I was reefing on a budget several years ago I ran a 48" odyssey metal halide fixture but swapped out the ballasts for Lumantek e-ballasts. It ran fine for over 5 years no issues.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new