Which Ro/Di unit is sufficient for Phoenix water?

Jimmy Long

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the BRS ones, but don't know which stage is sufficient enough for phoenix water.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at the BRS ones, but don't know which stage is sufficient enough for phoenix water.

You’ll be good with a single stage of sediment and a single stage of carbon as Phoenix treats with chlorine and not chloramine. Then I recommend a stage of Anion and a stage of Cation instead of mixed bed to get a longer life. I’m overkill and run an 8 stage but many run a 4 or 5 stage and are fine.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any quality, standard size cartridge, 5 stage will do the job well.
If your water pressure isn’t great you should stay under 75gpd unit, unless you want to install a booster pump.

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others. Just head to Spectrapure. We are lucky to have them in the area. JP
Get with SpectraPure. They are from the Phoenix area (Tempe) and have dealt with CAP water for many years.

Huh, I didn't know that... When it presents itself, I always try to purchase locally.

Softee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectra pure 4 stage with hi capacity filters. 0 TDs and work great for my 200 and 65 gallon tanks.
I run a shurflow booster pump(a must have) std. Pressure was 20psi, pump moved it to 70psi. Which is why the high capacity filters, blew out the std filters in the kit. So pump= hi capacity filters.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Scottsdale, water is just as bad (TDS over 650). I purchased a used BRS 75gpd unit locally. Upgraded it with a dual membrane. Added a booster pump also. I use the Cation, Anion and mixed bed DI in that order. Lost track of how much water I've produced, thousands of gallons now. I still haven't changed out the Cation, Anion or mixed bed DI yet. The Anion is getting close. With all the different tanks I have I have well over 700 gallons total water volume. I agree with the buy locally, which I kinda did, I do have several other Spectrapure products for AWC, ATO and RO/DI water production. Great products.

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little off subject - but how much “waste” water are you guys producing compared to the usable RO/DI water?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly suggest getting a water report from your Utility on where your water comes from. All the municipalities in the Phoenix metro area treat water differently. Once you have your water report then you can build your RO/DI appropriately. My water in Surprise comes from an Aquifer and is treated differently than some other systems near by. Basically, find out what you got and go from there. Don’t go by what others may tell you works for them.

When I say contact your Utility, many have the reports on line.

I contacted Specturpure with my water report and we went with what was best for my water.

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Scottsdale. I stressed out about and overthought this for a long time. :)

I use the BRS Value 4 Stage 75GPD.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

Membrane Flush Valve
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/membrane-flush-valve.html

TDS Monitor
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EHAZGW

I have around 475-500 TDS going in, 0 coming out. I use one for mt ATO and a second one for my mixing station. I end up having to change out the DI Resin about every 5-6mos.

I've been extremely happy with them.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little off subject - but how much “waste” water are you guys producing compared to the usable RO/DI water?

With my dual RO membranes I get a 1:1 ratio of RO/DI to waste water. I run my waste water outside with a long flexible line. I move it around from tree to tree to water them.

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased mine from BRS. I don't remember the brand. 75gpd each. I do have a booster pump which helps keep the pressure up.

They use the DOW filmtec. That’s what I have for mine with a booster but my TDS only gets as low as 26ppm. Woot to 740+ ppm Avondale water! /s

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go from around 650 tds to around 6. Then it goes through the cation, anion and mixed bed DI. The only resin that seems to get used up is the anion. It will need to be replaced soon. It's been about a year and several thousand gallons, so I'm happy. The anion smells really bad. Made the mistake of opening the bag in the house. Never do that again. Gave my wife a massive migraine. Next time I will change it outside.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 55 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back