Which Salt Are You Currently Using?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to LiveAquaria Reef Salt from Marin Tropic Classic largely due to the fact TM is always out of stock plus LA price is reasonable for quality product. Quickly mixes clean and clear.

Me too. I've been using the LA salt for 5 months now. Always mixes clean, clear, and leaves no residue.

Watch Petco for sales on the LA salt too. They are sold out right now after having a big sale on it a few weeks ago.
They had the 14# bags on sale for $7.50. You could buy (4) bags or 56#, which essentially equals the 55# box, for $30 with free shipping. I stocked up during that sale. I shake the bags up real good and then dump them into a bucket. You can then roll the bucket around to mix even further if you want, but I haven't found that to be necessary. The LA salt has been consistent for me whether it comes out of the bucket, box, or bag. For the price, I think the LA salt is hard to beat.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua vitro
I’ve used it since it first came out .
I have had a few buckets over the years mix dirtier but parameters are always right .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of changing as the price of a bucket has went up almost $30 since I’ve started .
What to switch to as they are all around the same price .
I won’t get stability changing and trying different brands to save $1

hobbies have never been cheap !
my as well enjoy

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use red sea blue bucket. Just started mixing my own water salt after using local fish store water for 3 years. Finally bought my own RO/DI, it's the BRS 6stage drinking water combo and bought an extra DI canister to have 2 DI RESINS. I fill up water, add salt and let it mix from Wednesday to Friday. I don't know why but, I saw the BRS video on mixing for 48hours and been following that recommendation. I have seen a better reaction from corals, it's amazing.

LFS had salinity at 1.22 and been bringing it up slowly to 1.25 still at 1.24 at the moment. They were using reef crystals. And I have 8 LPS, 1 birdsnest, 1RBTA, and 6 fish.

darinsmall86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the io reef crystals mixes way better if you add the salt in 2 batches and don’t heat it until it’s mixed. Way less residue in the mixing bin.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back