Which T5/LED Hybrid System To Chose

  • Thread starter Thread starter evo187
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

evo187

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 10, 2013
Messages
108
Reaction score
86
Location
Minnesota
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming back into reefing after a 4 year lay off, but have been in the hobby for 15 years on and off. I am planning a new Waterbox 130.4 SPS dominant tank and I'm bouncing between two light set ups. Hopefully you guys can give me some input.

Over the years I have had the best luck with T5s and was able to grow some SPS successfully. I have dabbled in LEDs on two nano tanks (Kessil 360 and AI Prime) with ok results at best. This will be my first heavy SPS tank so I am trying to make it as foolproof as possible.


Option 1 - Less expensive / Plug it in and leave it

ATI 48" 8x54 Sunpower
Reef Brite 48" Actinic XHO Fixture


Option 2 - More expensive / LED learning curve

Aquatic Life 48" Hybrid with 4-ATI bulbs
(3) Kessil 360W-E
 
I have option 2, if I could go back in time I’d do option 1.
 
I am thinking I'll go with option 1 since it is closest to what I have had success with in the past.

I almost went with the 2 AI twentsix lights in their plus package since it is the cheapest option but I'm not sure 2 units would be enough to keep sps happy. I may do some more research before pulling the trigger on the LEDs and settings.
 
I am thinking I'll go with option 1 since it is closest to what I have had success with in the past.

I almost went with the 2 AI twentsix lights in their plus package since it is the cheapest option but I'm not sure 2 units would be enough to keep sps happy. I may do some more research before pulling the trigger on the LEDs and settings.
If your looking for high par a hybrid with reefbreeders 48’ gets 800 par. I think that’s more than an 8 bulb t5 gives.
 
Option one 100% for Acropora dominant

You want the T5 bulbs in the main center area doing the heavy lifting and the LEDs for supplementing and visual bling.
 
if It were me it would take me .000001 seconds to choose option 1.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new