Which tank should I choose?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jurrien
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jurrien

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
8
Location
Netherlands
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I’m new to this hobby (or, well, I’m not in it yet), but I’m looking to start a saltwater tank and I’m having a hard time deciding which one to go with. Around 20 gallons is the maximum size I want, because anything larger would be too big for me and my parents. I mostly want to grow (soft) corals and perhaps add a small fish one day. These are the options I’m considering, and I’d really appreciate any advice:


1. Aqua Medic Yasha 70 litre
The quality seems to be there—good materials—and I like that it’s a bit wider horizontally than other AIO tanks. It’s the most expensive option (at least within my size and price range here in the Netherlands).

2. Blue Marine Reef 60
This one is much cheaper than the Aqua Medic, but the quality also seems lower (and it’s smaller). I noticed the light is only 11 watts, compared to the 30 watts on the Aqua Medic. Still, it’s definitely an option if it works well.

3. Building one myself (without a sump like the AIOs)
I could make a setup fairly similar to the Aqua Medic Yasha, but without the rear sump compartment, which would make it cheaper. My estimated cost includes a HOB filter, a HOB skimmer (Amtra), a wavemaker, and a 30-watt LED.


Like I said, I’d really appreciate any help. Saving money is definitely welcome, but not if it comes at the cost of too much inconvenience or difficulty. Thank you in advance and happy new years!
 
Welcome to r2r!!
There are a lot of AIO small tank options out there. If you search around on this site you can find a whole lot of opinions on them.
 
Thank you everyone, I’ve chosen the Aqua Medic Yasha 70 because it’s horizontally a larger which I think potential fish would appreciate more 😄
Good luck with your new tank!
 
High reccomend the innovative marine AIO 40 lagoon or the 50 lagoon. Fantastic tanks. Don't have enough insight on these systems but would think this is comparable.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new